Swarm question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeronsReach

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Whilst checking my hives sat 12th may I found two hives with sealed queen cells and both still had queens in (probably bad weather kept them in?) so I carried out a hive split and took the queen cell brood box to the side removed the queen and put her back onto the original site with two frames of brood with no queen cells. Sunday 20th I had a swarm appear on a post near the apary. Managed to collect. went to check which hive it came form only find that both hive i'd split had swarmed (no queens in either) , so I put them swarm back into one of the hives. Checked last night and no queen to be found (swarmed again in my absence!) I'm after some theorys on why even after swarm prevention they still need to swarm?

It seems that you did a funny kind of split and not a proper artificial swarm and that may be the problem.

The short version is that you defintely should not be putting any frames of brood in the part of the box you put the queen in. AS works because you separate the queen and flyers from the brood and trick them into thinking they have swarmed, so the impulse to swarm passes. You did not do this.

Agree with Polly.....
even after swarm prevention they still need to swarm?

Swarmy stock with that impossible swarmy allele!

The colonies / swarms that I collected in bait hives last year have all swarmed, even with vigilance in swarm control that works so well on my stock of calm & productive garden NZ bees.
The lesson is to re~queen the collected colonies with queens of known providence!
I still ask myself... why did you do that ... stupid !

1) Queen cells were sealed, so less than a week to emergence?

2) Too much brood put into A/S colony.

3) Not checked for further queencells in the A/S'd part.

4) Not swapped position of colonies at the prescribed point in time.

5) Left multiple queen cells in the parent colony.

6) put a swarm back where it came from (probably).

Need any more? I think you need to read up on artificial swarming and follow the instructions.

RAB

Last edited:
Whilst checking my hives sat 12th may I found two hives with sealed queen cells and both still had queens in (probably bad weather kept them in?) so I carried out a hive split and took the queen cell brood box to the side removed the queen and put her back onto the original site with two frames of brood with no queen cells. Sunday 20th I had a swarm appear on a post near the apary. Managed to collect. went to check which hive it came form only find that both hive i'd split had swarmed (no queens in either) , so I put them swarm back into one of the hives. Checked last night and no queen to be found (swarmed again in my absence!) I'm after some theorys on why even after swarm prevention they still need to swarm?

Have you a problem with clipping by any chance?

No I havent, but i'm seriously thinking of starting

Back