Swarm pic - any comments?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Any comments on this swarm pic – I will explain all when we have had a few comments.

I had similar recently but much smaller scale. Was not sure if one swarm or several casts. Collected them all together in my case and seemed to work but these are much bigger. ? Prime swarm and casts all together because bad weather recently prevented them going seperately??

Synchronised swarming???

Came out of local apiary from several hives probably over several days. I'll have them!
( or have you photoshopped it! :) )

All I will say at the moment, it is not photo shopped and I will check out the ley line theory :)

Where;'s the nearest apiary?

Have you caught them all?

Great photo,
Was it taken lately, as thought that tree flowered later in the Year.

Love Beekeeping <3

stags head sumach? a lot later in the year

Last edited:
I thought my bees where ready to swarm today but stayed near the hive for awhile and it was just alot of bees all coming back together at same time. Then periods of very few going in.

Looks like elder to me Sambucus Nigra, could be out in a sunny spot. Elder trees have a Hydrocyanic Acid content in all parts Which gives the tang in Elder Fizz the least potent part being the flower from which it is made. The leaves can be boiled up to make an insecticide(don't tell anyone the EU will be after you) to control aphids as it is an organic substance it is dissipated early, so used in the evening in dry weather your bees will be ok in the morning.
ref. Organic Gardening Lawrence D Hills. 1977.
Could it be that the Hive or hive had a high Varroa load?

Also looks like Ailanthus altimissia, Tree of Heaven?

Aralia spinosa, the devils walking stick tree with some nasty spikes. That's what I reckon, we have one and the bees love it some years and won't touch it on others!
E

Looks like good old mountain ash/rowan to me, though in that location could well be one of the more ornamental cultivars.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back