swarm in tree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dorset, I thoroughly enjoyed that

Me, too.

The lengths some will go to to get a swarm!

I think I would have a couple paving slabs (at least) anchoring the step ladder if a 12m pole were needed... On second thoughts my extending ladder (plus a pole), raised vertically (with scaffold braces and guys) might just do the job. Probably erected just in time to see them depart for new pastures!!

RAB

Edit: Hard hat a PPE necessity!

Last edited:
That was really interesting. Congratulations on getting them sorted out, very good work and thanks for sharing that with us..

Thanks Dorset, I thoroughly enjoyed that

Me, too.

The lengths some will go to to get a swarm!

RAB

It was a combination of factors which drove me on:

- this lot swarmed while I was on a callout collecting a swarm from someone's garden, which I then give away to beginners or others on our association's waiting list who need bees, so not to get my own swarm back would have been a "double loss" so to speak

- the willow trees are on my property but overhang a public car park, so it is a matter of civic responsability if nothing else

- if this had been on one of my callouts, I would have walked away due to the height & inaccessibility factor. Being on my own land, I can chuck bricks on ropes around and tinker with weighted crossbow bolts to my heart's content with no risk to anyone else.

- and I suppose I could add in retrospect that it was fun and I learnt more stuff which I initially didn't think would work. Practical trumps theory every time.

Another method I have heard of - but not yet tried I hasten to add - is throw/shoot a line over the branch as close as possible to the swarm and hoist a frame of open brood. The swarm is supposed to move onto the frame to cover the brood and can be gently lowered and hived.

As all my sites are surrounded by trees from 20 - 60 ft all ideas are welcome:)

As I said ladder and a pole.

Thanks all - if only I was a windsurfer! They are showing interest in a new bait hive today - I am hoping that getting very wet last night might force them to move. If the tree had stronger branches I would be tempted to try, but they really are on a spindly bit!!:(

Latest posts

Back