How to collect this swarm.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly I have no local bka, but as I have too many hives I'm not sure if want swarm calls, maybe next year if I unite enough this year!
The insurance might be useful though 🤔

Be aware it's just disease insurance (EFB/AFB) so there's no cover for losses of other causes.
Gives you very basic recompense for loss of frames on destruction, less an amount for wear.
No, you're wrong.
that's just the BDI which is pretty pointless IMHO.
You also get public liability insurance - essential if you sell your honey, or collect swarms

Oh yes, you're right. You do get public liability.
I do know lots of people though who think the insurance will cover thefts or vandalism in the apiary.

The BBKA can facilitate insurance which covers theft etc (or used to) they were advertising it at the spring convention a few years ago, I decided to enquire about it just out of boredom and sheer curiosity. It wasn't too badly priced, but it only covered you if the apiary was in your back garden - and you locked up all the hives in a shed every evening :smilielol5::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Two thoughts after reading this thread:
1. Why not just leave the swarm in the tree and let nature take its course? We can be too precious about 'saving' bees sometimes.
2. - BBKA public liability insurance gives valuable for peace of mind to the beekeeper.
- There are three cracking articles on Asian hornet management in August BBKA News.

Two thoughts after reading this thread:
1. Why not just leave the swarm in the tree and let nature take its course? We can be too precious about 'saving' bees sometimes.
2. - BBKA public liability insurance gives valuable for peace of mind to the beekeeper.
- There are three cracking articles on Asian hornet management in August BBKA News.
I agree, if the tree surgeon is not interested I’ll leave them. If they survive over winter they might be worth collecting just to keep the genes.

BDI not worth tuppence/ha'penny.

My beevac worked a treat sucked up the bees without hurting them or splatting them with suction power, only a small swarm and not quite rugby ball size.
Shook the bees in to nuc but now they are 50/50 clustered on the outside, not 100% sure a Q is present but they were fanning

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back