How to collect this swarm.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
I was asked to look at a swarm that has set up home in about 20’ up a tree. The comb is tied into small branches so trying to remove it will be difficult.
Would it be possible to put the colony in a sack and cut all the branches? IMG_2698.jpegIMG_2696.jpeg

I was asked to look at a swarm that has set up home in about 20’ up a tree. The comb is tied into small branches so trying to remove it will be difficult.
Would it be possible to put the colony in a sack and cut all the branches? View attachment 37195View attachment 37196
Poor things! However have they managed to build that in the weather we’ve had?
Looks like mission impossible to me😥 Worth a try though as they’re doomed if not.
Your suggestion seems the best way forward - and the best of British luck to you!

Poor things! However have they managed to build that in the weather we’ve had?
Looks like mission impossible to me😥 Worth a try though as they’re doomed if not.
Your suggestion seems the best way forward - and the best of British luck to you!
They have had earlier set back from the look of some comb on the ground below.
IMG_2697.jpeg

Try a bag with a couple of frames of BIAS on.give them an hour and see if any have moved onto the brood. If there is already brood on the comb it may fail but anything is worth a try

The existing comb looks mature so I would expect it to have brood. I would guess they have been there for weeks.

I can only think a "cutout" approach, cutting branches as needed & leaving close to flush with the combs, putting combs into frames & into a lightweight nuc box suspended as near as you can get it, then move away once all in.
Almost impossible as the surrounding branches are very small and you would have a hard job to do a “cutout” on a ladder at that height resting on minute branches.

Almost impossible as the surrounding branches are very small and you would have a hard job to do a “cutout” on a ladder at that height resting on minute branches.
Maybe need a helper - one cutting & lowering in a bucket, the other putting in combs/nuc?
Otherwise your bag it & chop idea seems best - but what do you do with it then? unless you can move it 2 miles+

Maybe need a helper - one cutting & lowering in a bucket, the other putting in combs/nuc?
Otherwise your bag it & chop idea seems best - but what do you do with it then? unless you can move it 2 miles+
It’s about 10 miles from my place so no problem there 😁

set up home in about 20’ up a tree
Rescued one like this on 20 November last year, Neil, and last time I looked, they were doing fine.

Secure access is fundamental and I use a Niwaki tripod ladder for work at height, a Silky saw for cutting, and good secateurs for fine snipping. Honey Brothers at the beginning of the Compton straight are a good source of Silky, and they really are the best for pruning as the blade works on the pull; you won't find better blades. Bees didn't like the black handle, so I added a glove.

Had a recce and prepared by taping two poly boxes together and then to a floor. Snipped and sawed branches until the nest was exposed, cut comb sections off and passed to Katy who parked them in the box. Didn't worry too much about the bees and cannot recall whether we saw the queen (probably not). Once half or more of the brood was cut, I took the main branch off and cleaned the comb remains into the box parked under the nest.

Bees flew about, of course, but we must have got the queen because they re-located pretty sharpish as the light was going, and though the day was mild, it was cooling.

Happy ending: parked them in an apiary, added an Apivar strip and watched them build up in spring. It was quite beautiful to see the weird comb develop, but I really must go and put a box of frames on top...

Ladder & boxes.jpgSaw.jpgComb on branch .jpgComb in boxes.jpgBranch without comb.jpg

Rescued one like this on 20 November last year, Neil, and last time I looked, they were doing fine.

Secure access is fundamental and I use a Niwaki tripod ladder for work at height, a Silky saw for cutting, and good secateurs for fine snipping. Honey Brothers at the beginning of the Compton straight are a good source of Silky, and they really are the best for pruning as the blade works on the pull; you won't find better blades. Bees didn't like the black handle, so I added a glove.

Had a recce and prepared by taping two poly boxes together and then to a floor. Snipped and sawed branches until the nest was exposed, cut comb sections off and passed to Katy who parked them in the box. Didn't worry too much about the bees and cannot recall whether we saw the queen (probably not). Once half or more of the brood was cut, I took the main branch off and cleaned the comb remains into the box parked under the nest.

Bees flew about, of course, but we must have got the queen because they re-located pretty sharpish as the light was going, and though the day was mild, it was cooling.

Happy ending: parked them in an apiary, added an Apivar strip and watched them build up in spring. It was quite beautiful to see the weird comb develop, but I really must go and put a box of frames on top...

View attachment 37198View attachment 37199View attachment 37203View attachment 37201View attachment 37202
I think I have a tree surgeon interested in picking it up. I don’t fancy doing it…… too old and had too many broken bones over the years. 🤣

He does…. I have too many. I’ve given away almost 20 swarms this year.

I'm sure I've posted it before, but tripod ladders are wonderful things. Even more so when you live on the side of a hill :D

James

I reluctantly rejoined the wretched BBKA simply for the insurance cover three weeks ago and have been pestered by swarm calls and turning them down, just tonight have been pestered again by a caller from two days ago regarding a swarm on a fence post.
For peace and quite will go and collect them tomorrow so will take my beevac along to capture them.

I reluctantly rejoined the wretched BBKA simply for the insurance cover three weeks ago and have been pestered by swarm calls and turning them down, just tonight have been pestered again by a caller from two days ago regarding a swarm on a fence post.
For peace and quite will go and collect them tomorrow so will take my beevac along to capture them.
I'm not (yet) a member. Can you join without giving your details for swarm collection?
Though surprised there are still swarms!!

I'm not (yet) a member. Can you join without giving your details for swarm collection?
Though surprised there are still swarms!!

Might be down to the individual BKA, but mine ask if you want to go on the swarm contacts list at renewal time. As it happens, most of my calls are not as a result of being on that list though, but from someone who doesn't (often) take swarms any more who seems to redirect many of his callers to me.

James

I left all the tick boxes unchecked as I didn't want anything from the LBKA or BBKA bar the insurance which most only join for.
I have sent off a email to the LBKA to sort it out.
BBKA themselves are just a useless bunch one can't get in contcat direct as they will not do anything, they should have a simple on ine opt in opt out.
I haven't beenbothered for about three years now yet soon as I rejoin I get pestered .
Generally like any so called national body they are full of sh*t and self importance.

Latest posts

Back