Swarm Control - clipping wings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once a Virgin returns from a mating flight and she is laying the wing or sometimes both come off..:spy:

Some flying ants do that ???.... it explains a lot about the insects some look after and probably why they do not get a lot of honey.... although I did see a film once about honey ants!!!

:calmdown:

So is the Q permanently stuck to the magnet until discovered there then? Or have I missed something?

No.

The two opposites attract so you make sure the two alike poles of the magnet face each other which repels and flicks the queen back into the hive.

LOL!!

No.

The two opposites attract so you make sure the two alike poles of the magnet face each other which repels and flicks the queen back into the hive.

LOL!!

Another reason for polly hives.... no ferrous nails.... but I thought the Thrones queen catcher was a magnet on a stick.... the dick is iron???

Has anyone actually used one???

:calmdown:

I really had hoped for a flood of responses from Northern beekeepers saying "No of course we do NOT clip queens' wings in these parts!" but, oh never mind.

Back