Swarm Collectors List

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Opinions please;

Is it worthwhile getting on the BBKA Approved Swarm Collectors List?

Do you have to have "done the BBKA module" to get approved ?

OR is collecting swarms of unknown origin and providence the best way to bring a diseased grist of mongrel bees into your apiary?

bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie
:beatdeadhorse5:
bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

I just ticked the box last year and got called out twice to bumble bees :rolleyes:
No qualification apart from two years keeping bees and catching my own bees :redface:

An out apiary to quarantine unknown swarms?

I don't think you have to complete the modules, the issue I have is that our local association is run by some people who are the co-ordinators and have a bee business. Since the bbka requests the info from the association it seems everyone else doesn't get much of a look in. I'm starting my campaign to compete with website, pest controllers, council etc.

As for the mongrel bees, I am a great believer in natures finest, I strongly disagree with importing queens and am of the opinion that the biggest diversity in gene pool builds a better bee. I think it is best to quarantine at another area until you are sure they are disease free and go to your main apiaries.

Yes it is, if nothing else you are doing a public service. Quite possibly you are preventing a colony being killed off.

Beware bringing a swarm into your own apiary till sure its disease free.

No you don't need to have passed any BBKA exams. Common sense suggests you should have the kit & knowledge to know what your doing & to be able house it once collected.

Watch out for hard up councils using you as pest control with unlimited passed on calls for wasps & bumblebees.

I would concur with the above. I went on the list last year and picked up a number of calls covering mainly solitary bees such as Ivy bee. However, I did get a good few swarms to boot. I learned to ask as many pertinent questions to the caller before setting off. You may wish to consider asking for costs to cover petrol. Most people understand these days and accept it.

Councils do not have the knowledge to filter the calls, all the person hears is the word bee, and most people ain't a clue as to a bumble or a wasp let along a honey bee so they point them all to the contact # they have on file.

It's that simple.

PH

BKA secretaries received an email this week asking for a form filling detailing co-ordinators/collectors approved by the BKA. There will be no self-appointees on the list this year. Last year it was needed to try and fill gaps and will be used again in future if the coverage isn't adequate. We and the association to the north both had 2011 beginners signing up last year - a situation none of us should be happy with.

I was twice last season called to botched collections. The worst had a dog admitted to the vets three days after a "beekeeper" had removed a swarm mid-afternoon and told the poor householder the rest would disperse (without using a spray or cutting the branch away etc). Dog escaped into the garden - lucky it wasn't the toddler :(. Outside our patch but unacceptable under any circumstances.

We operate three co-ordinators who are available in the daytime and at weekends and this is all the BBKA will receive. The rest of our system operates off our website to a postcode system as we have members in five counties and I have emailed all last year's collectors for updates to their info and others are welcome to apply to go on that list. Beyond that members who want bees can contact me through an item in the newsletter and go on a list to offer to assist/home surplus swarms. It works well.

North of us the BKA were talking of one point of contact only and have their collector lists issued direct to the Council, Police etc. I don't think this will work as PH says.

Competence is essential - swarms should only be removed at dusk & our collectors all have to agree to this although obviously skepping can begin earlier. The insurance aspect is a grey area still: I have been trying to obtain a full policy document for several weeks from the insurers direct so we can see the rumoured new changes to the public liability.

No-one without BKA membership (giving public liability as long as you are not charging more than fuel) or Public Liability insurance through their pest control/tree surgery/building etc business should be collecting swarms. Litigation isn't pretty.

Last edited:
I put swarm collectors into Google and it came up with a 'by region' list - with no one near me. I signed up and had 5 calls, 1 nothing there - they had flown, 3 collected swarms & 1 we were away. The swarms were all combined pre-winter, and I am hoping for something this year...we shall see.

:iagree:

a fellow newbie and i collected a very large swarm last year and it was a daunting experience. we left it til dusk, sprayed the swarm with a weak sugar solution and boxed the swarm up. after a cup of tea with the householder the majority of bees had followed the Q into the box - job done. nerve wrecking but a very valuable experience.

Now I don't want to be difficult or start a flame. Not in my nature, but it seems to me that this thread is going a little off-kilter.

I know there's a whole stack of seemingly wise words on how swarm collectors need good experience, work smartly at dusk, should only collect if they are insured, and just you wait till you do a cut out.....

At the start of last year we had never collected a swarm and felt it was something we needed to get experience of and would inevitably have to do - even with just our own.
I think we ended up with 6 swarms, including 3 cut outs of which 2 were in really difficult to access places. We are no old timers but are just embarking on our 4th year and now with 6 hives.

Each swarm situation is different, the level of risk to yourself, others, and the bees need to be thought through when you get there and you need to be prepared to walk away and find plan b if plan a is too difficult.

But collecting swarms should not be something to be overly worried about, even for relatively inexperienced beekeepers (people like us).

I don't think that the fear inducing words of the last few posts should be left without a counterbalance. There are many occasions (and I now know this from experience) when a beekeeper needs to act to help either the bees or other people and they should be comfortable to approach the challenge. It is not a terrifying ordeal, although as usual it comes down to thoughtful preparation after assessing the specific situation.

On one occasion last year I had to spend 7 hours on a roof cutting out a massive colony, another had to be cut out of the roof and wall cavities of a broken building on a day that went from sun to rain to violent thunderstorm with hail. The bees were very upset but the next morning builders were going to kill them. Then you get others that are easy hanging from low branches, garden seats, fences, etc.

So yes treat swarm collection with some respect but let's not overplay the challenges.

I am sure prior posters and a host of others will wish to contradict me, I welcome the contributions as different opinions are the strength of this forum.

All the best,
Sam

Last edited:
Ive collected many swarms, app'x 20- 30 each year. The council have my name as most people contact the council first. If you have never collected one before then get someone who has to come along.
Its a great experiance and a chance to speak to the public and educate them. I hive the swarm during the day and then collect them at dusk. In terms of payment i ask for a donation towards fuel which 99% of people are happy with.
As always if it is too dangerous to collect them then dont. i then have a out apiray thats solely for swarms until i know they are disease free.
I also take newbees out with me so they can lrean too.

TB

Thank you Sam, I totally agree.

I object to this closed list process to secretaries of the bka's. I know for a fact that this year nobody but two people will be offered the chance to gain the experience of collecting a swarm in our association! The bees will be brought on, either split and sold or sold to members! It really annoys me, nobody is going to learn without the opportunity it is like the bbka not allowing people to take exams without 2 years under their belt, they could be really competent Beekeepers.

On the flip side, a neighbouring association expects that all members are willing to collect unless they opt out, the swarm coordinator rings the person who lives closest.

We are not pest controllers, I agree in basic liability cover but as for stung dogs etc there is no greater risk than the dog being outside anyway, we certainly don't supervise our dog in the garden during the summer incase a few bees come along- it's nature!

We are not pest controllers, I agree in basic liability cover but as for stung dogs etc there is no greater risk than the dog being outside anyway, we certainly don't supervise our dog in the garden during the summer incase a few bees come along- it's nature!

You miss the point: the bees had been removed by a beekeeper who botched the collection and misadvised the householder.

As for beekeepers who choose to do uninsured (or are you insured Sam, in which case I apologise) cutouts on roofs that is fine until it isn't and goes badly wrong - I expect the Daily Mail will love that one.

mattsbees...the bka is run by committee elected by the membership. If two people are financially benefiting from swarms taken, debarring others and selling on then perhaps something ought to be said in the right ears...

it is like the bbka not allowing people to take exams without 2 years under their belt, they could be really competent Beekeepers.
Not entirely accurate: to do Basic (first practical exam) you need to have 12 months beekeeping under your belt, for modules two years.

That two year point is as the cosy nuc as was requeens and become murderous and you sweat buckets changing the hell-raiser yourself & you sell a little honey to a local shop and they come back for more. Then you might be able to say competent. Or would you define it differently?

First thing you must remember is:

Old Age and treachery will always beats Youth and enthusiasm.

It goes like this:

Hello, I've got a swarm of bees can you send someone to get them please.

Certainly Sir.

Hi, Mr Swarm collector (good friend, honey jar donor for info supplied, relation, golf companion etc) - got a swarm for you. Here's the number.

Hi, I'm the swarm man. Where are they. What colour are they. How many. All the pertinent stuff. Look, I'll have to send old Muggins for this one. I'll get him to contact you.

Hi, No, better Muggins deals with this one. Could you give him a ring. See you down the club - must drop you in a couple of jars of honey too.

OK

Hi Mr enthusiastic Muggins, way down the list and the last one we call. I've got a swarm for you. Here's the number.

Muggins is so pleased at finding your way to the top of the list after all this time - Oh Joy!

Hi, Enthusiastic Muggins here, I'll come round immediately madam and collect the swarm. In the roof? Not to worry we'll come round with all accoutrements. Yippeee! At last! We're in the frame! :hurray:

And so, there's why you spend the afternoon being polite, drinking tea, eating biscuits, wishing you'd gone for a pee before you'd left, reassuring, hummin and haaain over a dozen bumbles or a colony in the roof-space that you really should leave alone. :(

Sucker! :blush5: :laughing-smiley-014
-----

We, however have a little plan this year .......... .:cool:

Personally, I think charging for taking a swarm away is not on. In most if not all cases, the swarm will shortly fly off to a more permanent home somewhere else. If the householders knew that, they probably would not want to pay for a beekeeper to take it away. Also, the property owner is in no way at fault, so why should it cost them anything. And finally, one of our community of beekeepers caused the problem in the first place by not practicing swarm control, so we have a collective responsibility to deal with the problem a fellow beekeepers caused.

My payment is the bees.

That's my opinion, but then I'm a left wing wishy washy liberal, not a right wing money grabbing hang em high Tory like most Beekeepers seem to be :)

I agree, I'm not criticising other peoples views, I just think we need to do what is reasonably practicable to ensure safety. We're only having a discussion here because we share a common interest and I by no means condone shinning up drainpipes etc.

I know that the public liability said 3m but there also used to be a clause in there about hsaw act which I think is a reasonable guide to what we should and shouldn't be doing.

I think experiential learning rules over academia and I personally want to share my experiences with others as would I like to share theirs.

Latest posts

Back