Swarm, swarm, swarm again

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've a colony that is really getting me in bother as it's on an allotment site and is scaring the neighbours.
There was a swarm issued from it as I arrived on site a week ago. I opened the hive up and tore down all but one queen cell. I then knocked the swarm into a box. When I came back to collect the nuc, it was empty of bees and i assumed they had moved on, but I think they went back to the original hive. They swarmed again the next day and I put them in a box again, but again it was empty when I came back to collect.
So this has happened 4 days in a row- the swarm emerges, settles nearby then , I think, returns to the hive in the evening Whether or not I put it into a box. I don't think they are separate casts as the original hive still has plenty of bees. I'm almost certain it's the same bees swarming over and over again.
Can anyone offer any advice as to what's going on and the best way to handle it?

I've a colony that is really getting me in bother as it's on an allotment site and is scaring the neighbours.
There was a swarm issued from it as I arrived on site a week ago. I opened the hive up and tore down all but one queen cell. I then knocked the swarm into a box. When I came back to collect the nuc, it was empty of bees and i assumed they had moved on, but I think they went back to the original hive. They swarmed again the next day and I put them in a box again, but again it was empty when I came back to collect.
So this has happened 4 days in a row- the swarm emerges, settles nearby then , I think, returns to the hive in the evening Whether or not I put it into a box. I don't think they are separate casts as the original hive still has plenty of bees. I'm almost certain it's the same bees swarming over and over again.
Can anyone offer any advice as to what's going on and the best way to handle it?
Put a queen excluder between the floor and the swarm when you house it!

The queen's wings could be damaged and she can't fly very far. Have you checked the hive for the original queen? Otherwise as enrico's post with queen excluder.

A similar thing happened last year with this colony, but it's a different queen. Last year, as I was preparing to collect a swarm, I saw them go back. The next day, as I was again preparing to collect the swarm, it left and moved on.
Thinking about it , I guess an artificial swarm may have worked after the bees went back.
the Colony is very productive, but more defensive than my others. It has to go , I think

Latest posts

Back