Swarm collector list

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm on a few swarm collection lists and so far this year I've had many more calls than last year. However, Only one tiny swarm collected. The other calls were for bumble bees. A lot are for bees in bird boxes. I've been to look at a couple of these and they were early bees according to Bumblebee Conservation Trust www. Has anyone else seen an increase in number of calls for these bees this year?

yep the bees in bird boxes are a specie of bumble bees from continental europe can be a bit aggressive try to leave alone and let them get on with it

Funny everyone seems to be early. Up here on Teesside I'm starting later this year. Had first swarm beginning of may last year. Picked up this year's first yesterday. Had lots of bumble bees though especially in bird boxes. Seems to be lots of scout bees around as well.

SteveJ

Funny everyone seems to be early. Up here on Teesside I'm starting later this year. Had first swarm beginning of may last year. Picked up this year's first yesterday. Had lots of bumble bees though especially in bird boxes. Seems to be lots of scout bees around as well.

SteveJ

two wintered colonies in cavity walls and floors and a chimney colony winter

one into the cavity via the hole left when they remodel the bathroom and another through a hole giving access for an outside light cable
the chimney colony did not survive the April wet weather

interstingly the chimney feral colony at a farm near my out apairy did not issue a swarm on osr....unknown for it to do that in the past ten years, normally it issue two or three !!!!

SteveJ

One lot of tree bumble bees...but that was from Cheshire. Couple of Osmia rufa. All dealt with by phone.

Nearly 30 other calls...many scout bees, several chimneys and other awkward ones. Lots of casts around. A few primes. And an extensive list of other experienced collectors on call and BKA members wanting swarms.

A lot of calls but no juicy prime hanging off a low branch. Lots in buildings.
Most annoying one was a cast I went to one evening. Put it in skep and they quickly all followed. As I was wrapping up, householder said "it's a shame the chap who came yesterday didn't collect them all " turns out a bum beek, who is at the top of the list, called mid aft, got queen and a fair few in and left, meaning the balance and the foragers were still there - as big as a cast. "why didn't u pone him back? - I did but he said he couldn't come."
He then worked his way down the list to mug here who cleaned up bum beeks mess - 28 mile round trip.

A lot of calls but no juicy prime hanging off a low branch. Lots in buildings.
Most annoying one was a cast I went to one evening. Put it in skep and they quickly all followed. As I was wrapping up, householder said "it's a shame the chap who came yesterday didn't collect them all " turns out a bum beek, who is at the top of the list, called mid aft, got queen and a fair few in and left, meaning the balance and the foragers were still there - as big as a cast. "why didn't u pone him back? - I did but he said he couldn't come."
He then worked his way down the list to mug here who cleaned up bum beeks mess - 28 mile round trip.

I'm still worrying about the two unnamed beekeepers who went to a local wedding venue to clear a swarm before today's wedding (as I wasn't instantly available by phone - ten minutes!). If they left stragglers it's not going to be fun.

An incredible number of calls about bumblebees especially in bird nest boxes!
Convinced all but one to leave them alone for the season. The one who was concerned about grandkids playing nearby was going to gently move it at night to a quiet location in the garden.
Also a lot of calls for solitary bees or possibly masonary bees. Going into cavities and around roof lines. I always ask how many bees they have seen in 5-10mins observation and when they reply 10-15 or so I know they are NOT honey bees.

Swarms, I have collected 3 myself (4 if you count my own), still waiting to see if they are prime or not. (2 should be going on their size).
All relatively easy except for the last one which took a bit of coaxing to go into a polynuc and not cluster underneath!

Yep talking to other local beekeepers theyve had a lot of calls about 'bees in bird boxes' and aggressive too I have removed 3 this past week so far and got stung on the nose for my efforts

I'm getting at least 4 calls a day about bumble bees and only 3 for honey bees, 2 of the calls for honey bees turned out to be tree bees.
I'm only on the wasp control swarm list as i can't get on the bbka list unless i take the basic test :confused:.

I have many more calls this year than last but they seem to be for bees that have overwintered in walls/roofs/ ridge tiles/ air bricks and are now active rather than swarming. Unfortunately I'm just not up to cut outs so have had to try and on refer.

Only actual swarm I couldnt get to as stuck 30 miles away for whole evening and next day!

Back