Survival rate for winter 2013

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great photo, do you mind if I use it ?

No problem flattered you like it.

I agree, one of the best photos I've seen, what kit are you using Alan?

Chris

Hi Chris
I used a Panasonic Lumix G3 with 200mm lens. Christmas present from Anthea. Surprised it turned out so well as I know next to nothing about photography and was just messing about with a few shots.

Regards
Alan

It's a bit too soon to know the survival rate for winter, I won't know that until at least another month or possibly longer.

Bee activity doesn't mean you have a viable Queen.

Chris

Hi Chris

Point taken we will not count our chickens/bees just yet but we were pleased to at least see them out and about.
March/April will tell the real tale.

Regards
Alan

No problem flattered you like it.

Hi Chris
I used a Panasonic Lumix G3 with 200mm lens. Christmas present from Anthea. Surprised it turned out so well as I know next to nothing about photography and was just messing about with a few shots.

Regards
Alan

Brilliant, you must be well pleased.

Chris

Lost both hives with all that chestnut around....so sorry, don't despair, try and try again
E

All five of mine were flying well yesterday, all on the fondant. My million snowdrops were just one big buzz......no OA either! ( tin hat!)

if nothing else it makes the beekeeper feel optimistic... which is no small thing

Hi derekm,
That's an amusing remark - thanks. Not many laughs about beekeeping when you are a beekeeper.

All five of mine were flying well yesterday, all on the fondant. My million snowdrops were just one big buzz......no OA either! ( tin hat!)

Never used OA. Three winters now.

Mite fall last year minimal even with treatment with home made thymol .

Hi Alan and Anthea,
Great shot. Good qualiity and composition.

:iagree: about the photo.

I heard today that one of the colonies at Sheffield Botanic Gardens was found dead. The area the garden is in is near the city centre and much warmer usually than where I am. No investigations done yet on what might have happened. I will ask when I see the staff.

Never used OA. Three winters now.

Mite fall last year minimal even with treatment with home made thymol .

Home made Thymol ? Do you have a recipe and how do you apply it ? Talking about Bee diseases and parasites at Beekeeping course tomorrow night ... an interesting addition to the discussion if you have a minute, Thanks.

Phil

Home made Thymol ? Do you have a recipe and how do you apply it ? Talking about Bee diseases and parasites at Beekeeping course tomorrow night ... an interesting addition to the discussion if you have a minute, Thanks.

Phil

With couple of hives there is no idea to make your own thymol pads.

Yes but if a few people get together no reason not to make a bucket full

With couple of hives there is no idea to make your own thymol pads.

I misunderstood the 'homemade Thymol' ... I have a large patch of Thyme growing which I understand provides the oil which is the basis for Thymol. I couln't find anywhere on the internet that is a 'how to' extract natural oils from the Thyme plant and I was enquiring if this was something that MAF had managed to do. Thanks for the links to the posts for a recipe for the Thymol and its use ...

It appears that Thyme/Thyme Oil (a litttle less agressive than the Thymol contained within it) has anti-microbial and insecticidal properties (mosquito repellant as well) so has anyone used Thyme/Thyme oil as Varroa treatment -deterrent ?

Last edited:

Phil

I use Hivemaker's recipe as posted by Tom Bick above.

Lots of thyme in my garden but I suspect I would need a huge patch to extract thymol oil...

I actually add wax and heat it gently so it forms a gooey mess and soak string in it and dangle inside the TBH broodnests - much easier to apply and more direct than Apivar or other purchased treatments. Used it for three years in a row now.

I would not claim to be mite free but year on year mite drops on treatment have fallen from hundreds to tens.. (but that may be due to horrible summer weathers)

Worthwhile and much cheaper with 8 hives

Latest posts

Back