Survival rate for winter 2013

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B*gger the bees!

I'm just hoping that I survive this winter!

Getting to the stage where I look in the obituary of the local paper first thing in the morning, and if I'm not in it, I get up.

Dusty

and do people come and knock on your door... if you shout "go away" (or something less poilite!), they know you are ok? ;)

Am I the only person who leaves them alone from October until March without resorting to peeking & poking just to determine if they are alive or not. If you see them flying in March they are alive, if not, they are probably dead. Its not complicated.

i am on 14x12 and i put on 3 gallons of inverted syrup in september and together with the Ivy flow then that is sufficient normally until mid march

i weigh in october and then heft once during winter and in late feb, any i consider light i reweigh to confirm store drop, so far i have not had to add hardley any fondant in any of the cold recent winters, i do have a hive miles away from home with 5kg of fondant on as insurance as it was two hives combined late and i am unsure how much store they have

unlike little John, I dont fear a cold winter, as it makes for a nice tight cluster and reduces consumption but i do fear mild winters with brood through out and the varroa load going skyward and stores being consumed to excess

nuc, well those i treat individually depending on their state

losses this year, i think will be high mainly due to poorly mated queens not cold

snow, well i dont have landing boards (except one), and i have hives on 18" stands with an empty super under the open OMF floor to reduce draughts, so unless the snow is 2ft 6" deep it is not an issue, and if it was 2ft 6" deep i doubt i could get to the hives as they are up a 1:6 half mile long hill,( in the name really Mill Hill and Muswell Hill) so like finman i would leave them sealed in

Last edited:
It is not to count losses. My normal losses are 20%.

they are
- deminished colonies by nosema or varroa
- vanished queens
- drone layers
- seldom starved
- joining small colonies

unlike little John, I dont fear a cold winter, as it makes for a nice tight cluster and reduces consumption but i do fear mild winters with brood through out and the varroa load going skyward and stores being consumed to excess

But you mention 3 gallons of syrup and 5Kg of fondant - so you must be talking of full-sized colonies. My anxiety has been principally about the over-wintering survival prospects of one small colony with a cluster somewhere between the size of a large Outspan orange and a small grapefruit - with practically no honey on their combs. All my other colonies are big enough to look after themselves.

But it's been an enjoyable challenge nursing that small one through the winter so far, and although I don't want to tempt fate, I think they'll survive ok. I'd certainly do the same again next year if any late cast swarms turn up - but then I'm retired, so have the time to indulge in this kind of thing, rather than combine.

The next few days look warm enough for clearance flights.

LJ

I have fed all mine fondant. They stopped takin the syrup quite early in the autumn and used the stores during the wam wet period. They are all a worry this year.

I had felt quite good about harvesting early as recommended by the inspector and giving them every opportunity to top up to high stores levels for the winter.

Trying not to panic that I will be adding their demise to this topic.

B*gger the bees!

I'm just hoping that I survive this winter!

Getting to the stage where I look in the obituary of the local paper first thing in the morning, and if I'm not in it, I get up.

Dusty

We'll take your roof off, and check you are alive. If you are, we'll dowse you in acid .. sorry medicine ... and hope you don't die of: food poisoning, sars, flu, heart disease and bronchitis.

And if you do, fumigate your house with blowlamps.

:)

We'll take your roof off, and check you are alive. If you are, we'll dowse you in acid .. sorry medicine ... and hope you don't die of: food poisoning, sars, flu, heart disease and bronchitis.

And if you do, fumigate your house with blowlamps.

:)

Too late roof removed already (well the lead anyway) no doubt. Perhaps a couple of times already!!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All hives are flying at midday - very pleased to see that - but there's still a few weeks to go ...

Had a TC from a friend who was delighted to announce that his bees are flying today. Not strongly but they are active. I'm starting to think that today is the first time I have seen sunshine in 2013!

Mine were out and about today. Temp suddenly went up early PM.

beees

sorry i no this is wrong part but is any one els getting bees bringn pollen in now ? saw myn bringn grey and dark orang tho cant see any floweres if any one dnt minde ansring pleas do and hmm my bees r strugling on putting more fondent in to moz as bad weather agen :(

All hives are flying at midday - very pleased to see that - but there's still a few weeks to go ...

:) i was glad when i saw em out as tbh was thinkn they was probly dead feels really lighte but been to cold to open them putting fondamt in to moz but they found pollen hopfully nectar to but is it to early for nectar ? does any one no where orange pollen is from at this time of year or grey/ wite

:) i was glad when i saw em out as tbh was thinkn they was probly dead feels really lighte but been to cold to open them putting fondamt in to moz but they found pollen hopfully nectar to but is it to early for nectar ? does any one no where orange pollen is from at this time of year or grey/ wite

Hi kristin,
Yours are flying and collecting pollen, so so far so good. Orange pollen is crocus and the grey/white I have decided must be flowering heather from the garden centres I have down the road. God luck. Do you think that they are short on stores then?

i hope not but they have sudenly dropped rite back and weige next to nothing but fingers crossed putting more fondent in to morrow and hopping for the best the problem was they didnt drop back at all untill last month had pleanty of stores but full of brood all they way thrue the winter had a sneaky peak on thelast bit of warm weather when i fed so they have use a lot

i hope not but they have sudenly dropped rite back and weige next to nothing but fingers crossed putting more fondent in to morrow and hopping for the best the problem was they didnt drop back at all untill last month had pleanty of stores but full of brood all they way thrue the winter had a sneaky peak on thelast bit of warm weather when i fed so they have use a lot

Thanks for that Kristin. That has put me on red alert with pollen going in and cappings under the hive!

100% survival my TBHs
100% survival Association's nationals.

3 out of 3 survived (so far) - put some precautionary fondant on them a couple of days ago as I have no faith in my hefting skills and didn't get around to weighing in autumn. Will probably give some pollen supplement soon to help with early expansion

Loads in the garden yesterday and today on one particular plant (sure the clever ones can identify)

Latest posts

Back