Survival rate for winter 2013

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Margaret E. Are you not concerned that with their entrance blocked with snow the bees will not be able to get out for cleansing flights?

Margaret E. Are you not concerned that with their entrance blocked with snow the bees will not be able to get out for cleansing flights?

If the bees aren't generating enough warmth to melt the blockage in a reasonable time then a cleansing flight is probably not the major concern.

:iagree:
If the bees aren't generating enough warmth to melt the blockage in a reasonable time then a cleansing flight is probably not the major concern.

:iagree: even a fairly substantial drift over an entrance will swiftly develop a "blow hole" or two.

Snow melts surely in your "climate" before bees come out.
Bees come out when it is warm enough and sun is shining.

One day bees forage pollen and next they are blocked in by snow. Extreme beekeeping.
Sounds like our May sometimes.

Last edited:
As many here know, it's possible to have bright sun on cold days with snow still on the ground - that can be a killer set of conditions.
'Snow boards' are the answer of course, to block the light, and which prevent entrances from getting blocked (unless you're in a part of the world which has really extreme conditions). Sheffield should be ok.
Almost any old board will do, needn't be anything elaborate.

Is there still snow around ? I thought that was all over now ... Higher temps (6 to 9's) forecast for tomorrow, can't come soon enough for your truly.

LJ

Am I the only person who leaves them alone from October until March without resorting to peeking & poking just to determine if they are alive or not. If you see them flying in March they are alive, if not, they are probably dead. Its not complicated.

Is there still snow around ? I thought that was all over now ... Higher temps (6 to 9's) forecast for tomorrow, can't come soon enough for your truly.

LJ

Just a little - high school's just sent them home. Partner's gone out with the 4WD and says people are struggling with the hill.

Am I the only person who leaves them alone from October until March without resorting to peeking & poking just to determine if they are alive or not. If you see them flying in March they are alive, if not, they are probably dead. Its not complicated.

Nope.....count me in!

No you are not alone.

We have roughly 5-6 months of temperatures which are 15C or under - and frankly I would not want to poke around in my colonies then..

I only took up beekeeping as its simplicity is only matched by my own...:)

Just a little - high school's just sent them home. Partner's gone out with the 4WD and says people are struggling with the hill.

4 p.m.
Buqqer - I DO NOT BELIEVE IT ! - it's just started snowing here as well ...

How do feral colonies cope when it snows and there's nobody to block off the entrance for them?

Well - do they ? How about those with entrances on the leeward side, or more than a few feet up survive, and those with entrances on the windward side near the bottom start writing their wills ... ?

LJ

In general I'd agree with you, but sometimes it's necessary:
I've been over-wintering one very late swarm which went into winter with no stores except late pollen. I fed syrup until very late in the year in order to maximise pre-winter brood production, and got away with it.
The price to be paid for this strategy was the need to then feed throughout the winter - hence the need to keep an eye on feed. I've been using a modified crown board, insulated, with inverted jar feeders on top. Right now these contain fondant and damp sugar. So with these glass jars it's possible to check for life at the same time as checking on feed levels, without actually opening the hive per se.

But yes - there's a difference between peeking for good reason, and peeking 'just out of curiosity'.

LJ

Also - I think this year is exceptional - a very warm late autumn/ early winter following one of the worst beekeeping years on record, with this followed by some very cold weather: I think anyone who has not keep their eyes on supplementary feed, or who has not provided any at all, will be in for a helluva shock when they do come to open their hives.

Last edited:
No you are not alone.

We have roughly 5-6 months of temperatures which are 15C or under - and frankly I would not want to poke around in my colonies then..

I only took up beekeeping as its simplicity is only matched by my own...:)

Same here. If one has small clusters, the last thing they need is blasts of cold air. So you are not alone.

Losses: Three of fifty-three no signs of life (stehtoscope), very sad! But would not be shocked if there will be more by the time they can go out foraging again - no chance in Southern England in the near future, so pollen supplies surely running out.

I have heard that some London apiaries have lost all their colonies, but do not know any details as yet.

Finman's analysis of weather/hive life correlation is very useful, much food for thought - thank you.

Same here. If one has small clusters, the last thing they need is blasts of cold air. So you are not alone.

Losses: Three of fifty-three no signs of life (stehtoscope), very sad! But would not be shocked if there will be more by the time they can go out foraging again - no chance in Southern England in the near future, so pollen supplies surely running out.

I have heard that some London apiaries have lost all their colonies, but do not know any details as yet.

Finman's analysis of weather/hive life correlation is very useful, much food for thought - thank you.

Well it is possible but also possible in any part of the uk. I for one would be very interested to know of losses like that.

I am not exactly London more Greater London and within my beekeeping group everything is looking good at this moment in time but we do have a bit more time to go.

4 p.m.
Buqqer - I DO NOT BELIEVE IT ! - it's just started snowing here as well ...

Snowing on and off all day here.. more forecast..

It is winter - normal...

I gave mine Oxalic in early-mid January, and all were well then, although some had smaller clusters than I would have liked.

In late Winter around now, and every couple of weeks until spring, I like to go around and give them a 'knock'. If they respond with a buzz I know they are OK.
The reason I do this is I want to intercept any failed colonys before the bees are flying strongly and robbing occurs.

B*gger the bees!

I'm just hoping that I survive this winter!

Getting to the stage where I look in the obituary of the local paper first thing in the morning, and if I'm not in it, I get up.

Dusty

Latest posts

Back