Supercedure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivetool2021

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

Am I right on thinking this is supercedure cell as there is only a couple and mid frame

Many thanks

HT

Attachments

• 20220608_141740.jpg
    20220608_141740.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
If I didn’t live in the suburbs and was rather worried about swarms causing local panic, I would take a gamble and leave them to it as they do look like supersedure as per Wally Shaw’s “I’ve got swarm cells” publication. Risk it for a biscuit?

I would say swarm cells...just to be on the safe side in early June!!

PS: Bees can't read so what is said in the books maybe completely different to what they have in mind.

Well I've had a few draw out and charge single cells this year, the first couple I split but decided to roll with the others. Yes, it's a bit twitchy but what's life without a few thrills, eh?
If the queen is a particular favourite, then move her to a nuc, otherwise do a thorough search in case you missed some, then work out roughly when they should be emerging and see what happens.
So far (he says, not wishing to tempt fate) none of them have swarmed.

Hi all

Am I right on thinking this is supercedure cell as there is only a couple and mid frame

Many thanks

HT
No way of telling, they could just as likely be swarm cells - have you seen the queen lately?

Yes hrh is in there laying well, its a newly mated queen from emerging 4 weeks ago

thinking this is supercedure
At this time of year bees may well swarm on a supersedure QC, but at the moment those two juvenile cups look more like emergency cells.

Trouble with removing the queen to a nuc is that the absence of her pheromone may well trigger emergency QCs.

You could call their bluff and remove the cups; if more are made later in the season, by all means let them supersede her as the risk of swarming will have passed.

Is the brood pattern poor enough to indicate a failing queen?

Really hard to figure out what is what with such a young queen. As Eric said, the laying pattern could be an indication. I have a similar hive, early spring supercedure, queen is laying very well and filled 6 frames side to side but found a single charged cell on the edge of the brood nest. I removed the cell and will check again over the weekend.

hrh is in there laying well, its a newly mated queen from emerging 4 weeks ago
chances are they are just hedging their bets on a new queen, they will sometimes take them down themselves once theu're happy she's a keeper I doubt she's filled the hive with brood yet to red flag swarming preps, I would just tear the QCs down and inspect again in a few days to see what's occurring.

Latest posts

Back