Super still not capped

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapdogsx5

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a super i was hoping to take off today so i can start treating for Varoa but it`s still not capped and huney came out when i shock it so left it on.Whats the latest i can start to treat or is it down to the weather so a hard question to answer ?

lapdog

I have a super i was hoping to take off today so i can start treating for Varoa but it`s still not capped and huney came out when i shock it so left it on.Whats the latest i can start to treat or is it down to the weather so a hard question to answer ?

lapdog

I think you've answered your own question.
If you use Apiguard, temp needs to be 15c and above or it isn't so effective.
Perhaps you could look at average temps for where you live and see wehn the temp drops below this. It would give you a rough idea of when treatment should be finished by.
Cazza

I think you've answered your own question.
If you use Apiguard, temp needs to be 15c and above or it isn't so effective.
Perhaps you could look at average temps for where you live and see wehn the temp drops below this. It would give you a rough idea of when treatment should be finished by.
Cazza

Bless ya thank Cazza in a way i`m pleased i`ve answerd my own question show`s i`m learning this beekeeping lark;)

LAPDOG

I would take it off, treat, give it back for winter feed. I would take it off so that treatment didn't make frames taste next year!

Apiguard trays are to be placed immediately on top of brood frames with any supers removed for the duration of the treatment. In such a position the warmth from the cluster below will almost certainly be high enough to keep the thymolised fondant soft enough for the bees to take it down or whatever and that will enable the thymol in it to be released to best effect for a while yet all being well. Fact is though that Apiguard and any other thymol treatment is best started soon after mid August.
As for the supers, replace them on top of crownboard with holes open after the second Apiguard tray is empty and the bees will take the stores down for the winter. When empty, remove them to store where wax moths cannot get at them

Last edited:
Take it off,put it in the freezer and feed it back to the bees either this year or use it to start supering next year.

Back