super emptyin

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macstu

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
On my last inspection just over a week ago I had a super almost full of honey which they had started to cap . This week they have nearly emptied it and there is pollen in a lot of the cells ?? whats happening . I know I have a virgin queen about 3 weeks ago no sign of eggs yet.

Tell us how this came about. Was it after an A/S?

Why is there a virgin queen? And more accurate dates would help.

There is often a simple reason which fits all the observations and case facts.

Tell us how this came about. Was it after an A/S?

Why is there a virgin queen? And more accurate dates would help.

There is often a simple reason which fits all the observations and case facts.

It wasn't an A/S
The old queen which was marked and clipped could no longer be found (she was always easy to find) thought they had tried to swarm and came back as she was clipped and non flyer.So allowed a new queen to hatch

2nd June inspected and super was starting to be capped 10th June inspection super almost emptied and pollen in the cells

ask yourself - why do bees store honey?

answer - as an energy bank for use when forage unavailable.

your bees needed the food.

Ahh, so a huge colony with no brood. I was surprised that a colony with no laying queen for a month would use (almost) a whole super of honey in just one single week, especially with no open brood to feed. Not actually sure whether they emptied it this week (past) or whether it was in just over a week, but never mind, I expect a little 'poetic licence'.

It is a good job they had plenty of stores. There must be no nectar forage whatsoever in your area, I woud think. Have you warned your local beeks of the risk of looming starvation? Might be a good idea if the local BKA has a website.

Are you sure you removed all the QC's leaving just one to 'hatch' if not, chance of a large cast swarm leaving - even maybe followed by a substantial colt - they will all have taken a bellyful of honey with them, and, as RAB said if there's a dearth the remaining bees will be tucking into the stores. Timeline for discovering swarm cells/aborted swarm?

Ahh, so a huge colony with no brood. I was surprised that a colony with no laying queen for a month would use (almost) a whole super of honey in just one single week, especially with no open brood to feed. Not actually sure whether they emptied it this week (past) or whether it was in just over a week, but never mind, I expect a little 'poetic licence'.

It is a good job they had plenty of stores. There must be no nectar forage whatsoever in your area, I woud think. Have you warned your local beeks of the risk of looming starvation? Might be a good idea if the local BKA has a website.

So I will have to feed them then

So I will have to feed them then

Welcome to the reality of beekeeping!

One of the items on the routine inpection list: Do they have enough stores to last until the next inspection? If the answer is 'no', then the only alternatives are starvation or sufficient income to avoid starvation. On your observations of weather, forage, previous records, etc. you make the decision, of yes or no, on providing extra supplies for them. As a new beek you will, no doubt, hopefully err on the side of conservatism

Hi mactsu,
Shropshire is just going into its stale time! June is not brilliant here. However..... Feeding in my opinion is not a good idea, if they store it then you will have sugar mixed with your honey. When you say they have used a whole super then do you mean the honey is just uncapped or the super is light as a feather? Have you checked the brood chamber, if the queen isn't laying then they will be storing food in there. My advice is not to feed unless they are starving. Look at what forage is available, have a walk round your area looking at what trees you have. Are you in the middle of farmland!
Don't rush into feeding... That's all!
E

Hi mactsu,
Shropshire is just going into its stale time! June is not brilliant here. However..... Feeding in my opinion is not a good idea, if they store it then you will have sugar mixed with your honey. When you say they have used a whole super then do you mean the honey is just uncapped or the super is light as a feather? Have you checked the brood chamber, if the queen isn't laying then they will be storing food in there. My advice is not to feed unless they are starving. Look at what forage is available, have a walk round your area looking at what trees you have. Are you in the middle of farmland!
Don't rush into feeding... That's all!
E

:iagree:

Latest posts

Back