Super above or below?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One with bees 2 ready for bees!
One of my hives had 3 supers on when I cleared them. One had no capped stores and lots of empty frames so I left it on top of the BB and just extracted honey from the other 2.
I have read that the honey can be given back to the bees to store in the BB.
I have seen a thread where the super is on top of the BB, with a crown board with a small access hole for the bees to go through in between.
I have also seen posts with the super below the BB presumably with a QE between the super and BB.
Am I correct in thinking these are two ways to achieve the same goal?
If so is one way better?

I have also seen posts with the super below the BB presumably with a QE between the super and BB.
it's a tidy and efficient way of doing it - but there's no need for a QX
I have seen a thread where the super is on top of the BB, with a crown board with a small access hole for the bees to go through in between.
a fiddler's method - doesn't always work, and when it does, depending on conditions can take ages.

No QX
If there are wasps about reduce the entrance and put inspection tray in.
Leave for a week then take the nadired super away which should be empty

Never had a problem with it . Saves lifting double BB
I know the arguments in favour, but I don't like storing wet frames in the winter, so I always get the bees to clean out their extracted frames with the boxes on top and with constricted access for them....it works well and is much less messing about. It was on this forum a few years ago that I first saw that method recommended.

Sorry just seen, leave for a week. Thanks
I leave mine for a week which is enough time for the bees to move the stores up. The reason I don’t leave it all winter is that I run 14x12 and the outer frames in nadired super get mouldy.
Swarm is right if you run Nationals the box is likely safe where it is and also acts as a buffer if you have OMF

I know the arguments in favour, but I don't like storing wet frames in the winter, so I always get the bees to clean out their extracted frames with the boxes on top and with constricted access for them....it works well and is much less messing about. It was on this forum a few years ago that I first saw that method recommended.
It works well when the flow has stopped or autumn/spring feeding.
No income bees will rob out from wherever they can even nadired supers

Heavens. That’s a lot of work for you. I find it bloomin difficult even with six production hives
Luckily or unluckily I’ve less colony’s now than the last few years but increasing quite rapidly over the next two seasons.
So I’ve only 8 on the heather unlike last year where we had 32.
I’ve had less production colonys this season because I’ve been splitting like mad, I’m wintering 7 of ceris queens in various stages of strength(colonies 2024 queens)
And 22 colony’s of my own at various strengths oh plus a few mini nucs 😂 better not forget about those.
Tch are doing a tasting session at myriad organics next Friday I’m hopping to have 10 different types of honey on display plus an observation hive remove this part @Erichalfbee if you feel I’m advertising 👍

Tch are doing a tasting session at myriad organics next Friday I’m hopping to have 10 different types of honey on display plus an observation hive remove this part @Erichalfbee if you feel I’m advertising 👍
No go for it. Post pictures.
The guys there think you’re the best thing since sliced bread.
I was there incognito some time ago 😉

Latest posts

Back