Where to find land for Bees 2024

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hats off to anyone wanting to start
I agree, but the info. given so far is realistic and aims to explain the difference between the dream and the reality of beekeeping at scale.

he doesn’t know what he’s doing
No, he doesn't, and quite often I don't either 🙂 but then beekeeping is a permanently fluid, elusive and awkward activity at odds with regular employment, and it's as well that TAP knows that now.

Socrates is said to have said that to know all there is about bees one must live to 3,000, in which case I know nothing and exist in a state of permanent apprenticeship.

I'm content to be so, because it provides me with constant outdoor learning that stimulates the mind & heart, and I wouldn't last five minutes in an office of routine. Would TAP like that sort of work?

i try to educate myself as much as I can before i start keepin any bees
Good start, but be aware that books & videos will only get you so far and that many of both give bad advice, outdated advice, and advice from Alabama that is no use in Chelmsford.

Real-world learning is given to us by bees and the sooner TAP gets inside a hive and sets up next spring, the better. It is then that his education will start, by making the mistakes we all have made (and make) on the journey.

The first book below is the best for beginner beekeepers; the other two paint a delightful yet bold picture of bee farming and though older publications, the practical thinking within remains valid:
Haynes Bee Manual / Waring
Honey Farming / Manley
60 Years with Bees / Sims
Poke about here this winter:
Dave Cushman's A-Z
The Apiarist

approaching local businesses is what I would recommend. Farmers, nurseries, golf course grounds, manor estates…
Yes, for a beekeeper who has experience of swarm management, can identify and deal with defensive bees causing trouble on the ninth hole, and preferably, have the BBKA Basic Assessment.

The last not because it suggests competence (it is too easy to pass) but because prospective landowners are quite likely to ask for PLI and evidence of training.

Stick to farmers (who won't fuss about those factors), find a hidden spot and you can make mistakes without visiting the results on the public.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and support. Regarding the financial aspect of the whole thing it involves risk, but i rather take this risk than regret not doing so. This far away ahead, for the time being, I'm just focused on learning the basics, do some practice with an experienced beekeeper and finding a good place to place my first hives this spring. This a good forum and I'm confident that I'm going to get some good advise from all of you guys here!

I agree, but the info. given so far is realistic and aims to explain the difference between the dream and the reality of beekeeping at scale.

No, he doesn't, and quite often I don't either 🙂 but then beekeeping is a permanently fluid, elusive and awkward activity at odds with regular employment, and it's as well that TAP knows that now.

Socrates is said to have said that to know all there is about bees one must live to 3,000, in which case I know nothing and exist in a state of permanent apprenticeship.

I'm content to be so, because it provides me with constant outdoor learning that stimulates the mind & heart, and I wouldn't last five minutes in an office of routine. Would TAP like that sort of work?

Good start, but be aware that books & videos will only get you so far and that many of both give bad advice, outdated advice, and advice from Alabama that is no use in Chelmsford.

Real-world learning is given to us by bees and the sooner TAP gets inside a hive and sets up next spring, the better. It is then that his education will start, by making the mistakes we all have made (and make) on the journey.

The first book below is the best for beginner beekeepers; the other two paint a delightful yet bold picture of bee farming and though older publications, the practical thinking within remains valid:
Haynes Bee Manual / Waring
Honey Farming / Manley
60 Years with Bees / Sims
Poke about here this winter:
Dave Cushman's A-Z
The Apiarist
Sure, I'll give them a go.So far i've bought "Honey Bee Biology - Johnson, Beekeeping For Dummies - Wiscombe/Blackiston, and The BBKA Guide To Beekeeping - Davis/Kenyon.

skip the last one, definitely get the Haynes manual, if you want a bit more robust reading, get Ted Hooper's 'guide to bees and Honey' some classics are a good read as Eric said - another one of Manley's which is a must is 'Beekeeping in Britain' claimed to be the first beekeeping book aimed at beginners.

Sure, I'll give them a go.So far i've bought "Honey Bee Biology - Johnson, Beekeeping For Dummies - Wiscombe/Blackiston, and The BBKA Guide To Beekeeping - Davis/Kenyon.
Not everything that the BBKA says is good practice so 'ware with some of those books. There are a number of things which this forum has shared which will make your beekeeping easier, I'm sure @pargyle or @Erichalfbee listed them in a post, about a year ago I think but time flies.

I second the farmer suggestion for land- best keep bees away from people, it's just less stress if you get a twitchy colony.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and support. Regarding the financial aspect of the whole thing it involves risk, but i rather take this risk than regret not doing so. This far away ahead, for the time being, I'm just focused on learning the basics, do some practice with an experienced beekeeper and finding a good place to place my first hives this spring. This a good forum and I'm confident that I'm going to get some good advise from all of you guys here!
I hope you didn't feel that there were negative comments - beekeeping is always in need of new blood and younger beekeepers. You will always find somebody on here (at all times of the day and night) to offer help, advice, sympathy and encouragement. Over the years we have seen lots of new beekeepers come with good intentions and ambitions only to find that, by year 2, they have discovered that it's a lot to cope with and they become discouraged and often give up. It's a sad fact that the a lot of people who do the Association's winter courses don't even start keeping bees and of those that do start less than 2 in 10 are still keeping bees three years later.

WIth the right attitude, a desire to learn and keep on learning beekeeping can be a rewarding hobby, for a few it becomes an additional income to another job and for a very small minority it develops into a sole income (although some will tell you the hourly rate, when you work it out with all the time you spend, is probably less than the minimum wage !). But, for those that become engrossed (obsessed in some cases) with these incredible creatures it's not a job - it's a pleasure - most of the time.

So set yourself some realistic goals, absorb what is continually written in this forum - some things you will never find in the bee books - don't be afraid to ask questions - there's a Beginners Section where you can ask what you may think are the most basic questions - and you will get answers, not ridicule - we play nicely in that section of the Forum.

A 1, 3 and 5 year plan is important if you are seriously thinking you can make a business out of keeping bees but you will most likely tear it up and start again at the end of year 1 when you realise that what you thought you knew is not everything and is only the tip of an iceberg that is not actually shrinking but growing !!

Beekeeping needs you so take our collective words as encouragement - not criticism.

I’m just saying it all seems rather negative and some posts almost seem to be scoffing at the idea of what he’s trying to do, and feels like you’re assuming he doesn’t know what he’s doing and just putting him off the whole thing.

When it comes to the original question of finding land or somewhere to place the hives then somewhere local, with easy-all weather access, away from prying eyes and high footfall, and approaching local businesses is what I would recommend. Farmers, nurseries, golf course grounds, manor estates…
I understand your sentiments but I think all we are saying is that beekeeping is a bit unique but it is a business where you can try before you buy and I think that is important. No one wants to discourage anyone but if it was easy we would all be doing it. Good luck to the Op and anyone else that wants to give it a real go, we are all behind you with encouragement and help, just remember that some of us started 40 years ago and are still on a steep learning curve :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :cheers2:

First of all Thank you very much for replying to my post,

I'm looking forward to bee farming and I'm aiming for commercial beekeeping, I'm aware that it requires knowledge and above all devotion to your bees. I'm reading books regarding the subject and also I've contacted my local association for courses and further guidance and practice before i start to hold any bees. One of my concerns, apart from learning this craft, is where i can place my first beehives as they can't be placed in my backyard . Yes, 4 hives is ambitious in that early stage.
Just a cautionary and not prohibitory tale - I tried moving into commercial beefarming whilst working full-time and it's 4yrs since my back broke down on me, one operation later, job gone, mental breakdown and daily strength and fitness work and I'm still plagued by chronic pain - whatever you do, look after your body and listen to it. I'm 37 now but it utterly derailed my life. Genuinely love your ambition and kudos to you, beekeeping is utterly addictive as all those other junkies on here all know! 😜 Just take it canny and grow organically as your confidence and capabilities allow. Best, Ror

Back