sugar price.?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up here we are led to believe that the whole point of buying T&L sugar was because the sugar cane is not treated with nicotinamide, or is this a fallacy?

I won't use T&L sugar as it is not produced in the EU/UK. I prefer to support 'local' producers. Although the use of pesticides matters, there use seems inevitable virtually on all crops to some extent.
Yes, just bought some Silver Spoon beet sugar from Tesco for 62.5p per kilo

Er indoors went shopping today and spotted sugar at £1 for 2 x 1kg bags in the Goole branch of farmfoods. Of course she brought me 10 bags to start the annual stock up.

Thanks for the link but it still does not tell me that nicotinamides used in T&L cane sugar.
When Ive got a bit of time I will email T&L to ask as the only reason I actively seek out T&L was due to the information given at a local bee meeting that a T&L cane sugar did not use this particular chemical which for me was important.
T&L sold off their sugar business in 2010 and now concentrate on other food related business. Tate & Lyle - Wikipedia

Thanks for the link but it still does not tell me that nicotinamides used in T&L cane sugar.
When Ive got a bit of time I will email T&L to ask as the only reason I actively seek out T&L was due to the information given at a local bee meeting that a T&L cane sugar did not use this particular chemical which for me was important.
What are you particularly concerned about - imidacloprid and clothianidin ?
The use of chemicals in sugar production is highly regulated in Europe and well documented. Beyond Europe where sugar cane production takes places regulation is different and sometimes poor.

What are you particularly concerned about - imidacloprid and clothianidin ?
The use of chemicals in sugar production is highly regulated in Europe and well documented. Beyond Europe where sugar cane production takes places regulation is different and sometimes poor.

Highly regulated, yes, but some countries (IIRC: Spain and France) have given blanket permission for producers to use nenonics.

And beyond Europe... well, that's just what people voted for, apparently :sneaky:

Banning some neonicotinoids will reduce our ability to tackle some pests - there are no alternative treatments available - probably lead to a return to older, less-effective chemicals, more spray applications, more CO2 emissions etc......
The European Food Safety Authority EFSA bee risk assessment reports (EFSA Journal 2018;16(2):5177 and EFSA Journal 2018;16(2):5178) did not find high risks for many neonicotinoid uses - low risks were found for honey bees, and for wild bees the risk was also found to be low in the majority of cases............... if we can believe them.😕

Go to Booker Cash and Carry. BBKA members can join Booker. They currently have an offer of 2 x 25kg bags for £26. Works out at 52p per kilo.

Highly regulated, yes, but some countries (IIRC: Spain and France) have given blanket permission for producers to use nenonics.

And beyond Europe... well, that's just what people voted for, apparently :sneaky:
Yes it’s the neoniconamides I’m bothered about and I was advised at a bee meeting to use cane sugar such as T&L as none of these used in the sugar crops.
Had heard that the neoniconamides were implicated in colony collapse, hence this is what drove me to using T&L sugar.

Went to my local Bookers yesterday to by another 100kg of sugar. They had sold out of 25kg bags and the gentleman said that it may be back in by the weekend. I noticed that the cost of a bag on the label had also gone up from 2 weeks ago.

Last year I just got my sugar in ASDA. Their 5kg bags were ok priced and I did not need much.

But this year ASDAs sugar pricing is all backwards. It works out cheapest per Kg to get 1KG bags (65p). But they limit you to 3 max, of any sized bag.

I can buy a maximum of 3 x 1kg, 3 x 2kg and 3 x 5kg - 24Kg total, at one time, if I wanted. But if I try to buy 4 x 1Kg, no, that's panic buying...

So they are forcing you to pay more per KG the more you want.

I think its a blatant case of covid profiteering..... I could go on, but for fear of demonstrating my real powers to rant (and probably getting ban), enough said.

So this year I got some in poundstretcher- 59p per 1kg bag.

The one near me had stacks in stock too.

Latest posts

Back