Sugar Mould

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David G

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 small
Hi

I have a large feeder on top of my National hive and I made 4 litres of syrup a while ago I checked this today and it looks like it may be going mouldy. Could this be what looks like mould and if yes what should I do about it.

Thanks

Dave

Use Hivemaker's thymol recipe next time and avoid the problem. Nothing much you can do if it is already mouldy.

RAB

Remove it if possible it is toxic to the bees. Then as above

if it has started to ferment, then throw it (smell and see). Ensure that the container is well cleaned or the remaining yeast will ferment the next lot.

If you have a small colony, then 4 litres in one go is quite a lot.

Thanks for the replies and advice I will clean it out today now the weather has improved and replace with a smaller amount more frequently as you are right it is a small swarm.
Thanks Dave

Last edited:
Hivemaker's thymol recepie is really intended for the treatment of Nosema disease. But buy some thymol crystals from that Lincs based supplies firm and with it will be the instructions of how to make a bee-safe substance that you add to syrup to stop it spoling like it has in your case.

Hivemakers recipe is for treating Nosema but as it also says "if you want to stop fermentation use 5ml. per 3 gallons" i.e. a third of the rate.
The mix is very easy to make up and does keep the Thymol well mixed in the syrup.
Tim

Hivemakers recipe is for treating Nosema

Hivemaker's recipe does not treat nosema, but goes some way to preventing or minimising it by feeding the bees a bactericide and having it stored in the hive where it's anti bacterial properties will reduce the number of active nosema spores in the hive.

It's probably what you meant Tim, but people read things and take them literally. A few cut and paste's down the line and the message becomes something that wasn't intended originally.

A sequence of Chinese whispers, like Chinese honey is not all that it should be in the general quality stakes.

Having said that, Chinese violin's used to be crap too, but have come a long way in 20 years. :)

Just thought you should know that, Pete!

Hombre,
Thanks for clarifying my post for others. I was just following the form of words in the previous post and as you quite rightly say I could have confused people.
Tim.

Latest posts

Back