Sugar bags in super.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandysman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3+
I am led to understand (not first hand knowledge only hearsay) that in Scotland it is common practice to place 1kg sugar bags directly over the frames within a super over winter. Has anyone tried this, if so, is it effective and how did you do it?

not so sure about common practice, but i believe it can be used as an emergency feed.
a damp bag of sugar with an egg size hole cut in will suffice.

i use it on my hives, after the oxalic treatment.
i put a hardend bag of sugar on the hole in the crown board or in the super if wintering on brood and half. its a handy way of checking on the hive and a cheap stopgap if the bees have run out of food for some reason, and so giving you some time to get fondant on. usually the bees dont take notice of it till around march but its their in case. if bag is unused in the spring it can be used to make syrup

yep done that last winter.It seemed the only way i could keep two very prolific hives going. gave them gallons of syrup in autum and they turned it into brood. hefted hives in december and they were light as a feather 2x2kg bags helped them through to feb then same again til spring

Yes I have tried this in the days when I used to feed.

I cut an X in the pack and plunged it in a bucket of water for 5 seconds.

But most of it ended up as powder through the open mesh floor.

Then it was free for all in the apiary to get the spilt sugar.

I don't feed now and leave a box of honey. I still get loads of honey and I believe there much better off with there own food.

Very simple and very effective and no superfluous work, less is more.

:cool:

Latest posts

Back