Suddenly stroppy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Millet. Yeah rest assured im not going back now for a few days. Im only concerned about QC's and i was taught to inspect once a week. Now its to rain here for pretty much the next 5 days. I'll just sit tight and take your advice. Cheers

Thanks Millet. Yeah rest assured im not going back now for a few days. Im only concerned about QC's and i was taught to inspect once a week. Now its to rain here for pretty much the next 5 days. I'll just sit tight and take your advice. Cheers

If you have Queen cell problems that you know about ignore me..you will have to look regardless of the weather if you do not want to loose a swarm..i have a big fishing brolly for such occasions..:sunning:

I dont know if i have any and as its from a nuc its unlikely there will be. However the weather being so good may make a difference and it's a week since ive inspected. All was well at that point so probably nothing to stress about. More concerned with the sudden mood change in the colony. As you suggested i'll give it some time and try again.

Well. Out again just now, a little later in the day, and ince again as soon as the crown board was off they went mental. Not many bees surrounding me but 4 stings straight away and more if i hadnt closed up PDQ. Im worried they've turned rogue. My first ever bee stings, not too painful though as they were all on my hands. Swelling up nicely but no bad reaction.

how are you smoking them, and how long do you wait until you remove the crown board?

smoke under the floor and wait 5 mins, give them time to prepare

I dont know if i have any and as its from a nuc its unlikely there will be. However the weather being so good may make a difference and it's a week since ive inspected. All was well at that point so probably nothing to stress about. More concerned with the sudden mood change in the colony. As you suggested i'll give it some time and try again.

You are right to be vigilant - I installed a nuc on 26th May and it swarmed on 7th July! They still had loads of space, but off she went... I had been a bit too laid back about inspecting because it was a nuc and I thought a swarm was so unlikely. Live and learn😐

I don't wait long after smoking and only smoke a little but thats how ive been taught and I've never had any problems before now. Perhaps i should be a little more liberal next time.

It's true that as nucs grow they do generally seem more defensive.
It's also true that they are more defensive when it is about to rain.
The other thing is that they get more defensive when there is not much nectar around. I do not examine the brood boxes in August because swarm season is more or less over and usually they get very pingy and stingy in August around here.

The other thing is that they get more defensive when there is not much nectar around. I do not examine the brood boxes in August because swarm season is more or less over and usually they get very pingy and stingy in August around here.

Were to start....Quality queens heading good colonies provide no problems.
What type of bee are you keeping?

Where to start....Quality queens heading good colonies provide no problems.
What type of bee are you keeping?

Last edited:
:winner1st:

**** happens. Perhaps the beek killed the queen on the last inspection?

I don't wait long after smoking and only smoke a little but thats how ive been taught and I've never had any problems before now. Perhaps i should be a little more liberal next time.

Try using no smoke at all when opening up...when i kept angry bees a couple of years back all it did was make them more angry..i always light the smoker but the only time i use it is if i need to clear the top bars when closing up which is pretty rare... most times i light the smoker and never touch it again.

Well, after the brief hiatus i was back in today. All good. Queen spotted and laying well. Six brood frames BIAS and surrounded by honey stores. They're even starting to draw out my 14x12s. Slowly. Really well behaved today so i dont know what was wrong buy thanks for your help. Bees are coming back laden with blue, cream and red pollen, mostly cream, and ive put apivar x2 strips in. One question, should i feed them 1 to 1? They seem to be getting on great but i value any input. 3 dead wasps around the hive and no dead bees but thats after reducing entrance to 2 bee space last week when the wasps were circling. Should i leave it at 2 spaces? Thanks guys.

Well, after the brief hiatus i was back in today. All good. Queen spotted and laying well. Six brood frames BIAS and surrounded by honey stores. They're even starting to draw out my 14x12s. Slowly. Really well behaved today so i dont know what was wrong buy thanks for your help. Bees are coming back laden with blue, cream and red pollen, mostly cream, and ive put apivar x2 strips in. One question, should i feed them 1 to 1? They seem to be getting on great but i value any input. 3 dead wasps around the hive and no dead bees but thats after reducing entrance to 2 bee space last week when the wasps were circling. Should i leave it at 2 spaces? Thanks guys.

Bees get really shirty when there is no forage..

In general it is not advised to feed whilst treating unless they don't have any stores. I am glad that they are back to normal. That's beekeeping for you!

Bees get really shirty when there is no forage..

which often coincides with harrassment by wasps - talking of which I now have three colonies fighting wasps and all 3 are washboarding! Note the wasps are not getting any where near getting inside and often give up before coming into contact with the bees.

how are you smoking them, and how long do you wait until you remove the crown board?

smoke under the floor and wait 5 mins, give them time to prepare

............ or get more wound up.
I think smarter thinking is finally moving away from the obsession of pumping gouts of smoke into the hive by rote before inspecting. Smoke has it's uses at times but should be used sparingly and with some thought.
About time people stopped using smoke as a weapon but rather as a tool -
sometimes a duster works better than a hammer.

............ or get more wound up.
I think smarter thinking is finally moving away from the obsession of pumping gouts of smoke into the hive by rote before inspecting. Smoke has it's uses at times but should be used sparingly and with some thought.
About time people stopped using smoke as a weapon but rather as a tool -
sometimes a duster works better than a hammer.

I agree 100%.

Well tempered colonies? I only smoke when I need to remove bees from the edges when reassembling hives.

Bad tempered? I find smoking just makes them worse- often a LOT worse.

So I light a smoker always - and only use it when a good tempered colony becomes restless or as above to move bees.
I requeen bad tempered colonies. Period.

Simple. (in theory but of course you need a source of good tempered queens).

Latest posts

Back