Suddenly stroppy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree 100%.

Well tempered colonies? I only smoke when I need to remove bees from the edges when reassembling hives.

Bad tempered? I find smoking just makes them worse- often a LOT worse.

So I light a smoker always - and only use it when a good tempered colony becomes restless or as above to move bees.
I requeen bad tempered colonies. Period.

Simple. (in theory but of course you need a source of good tempered queens).

Problem is when they become stroppy you've often missed the boat with the smoker. Much simpler to pass a light plume over the queen excluder and then use as and when necessary. Avoid pumping the smoke into the hive just direct it over the top.

In general it is not advised to feed whilst treating unless they don't have any stores.

Why is that?

I think the rationale is the same as the temperature issue - if they have a ready supply of food within the hive they will be busily storing that and not going out foraging - a good movement of bees in and out of the hive is deemed essential for good circulation of thymol, which makes some sense.
The other reason is, another vehicle for ensuring good contact with the thymol is, the bees hate the stuff so try to remove it by passing it from bee to bee (again ensuring good contact) if they are busily stashing away loads of 'free' sugar they will neglect good housekeeping routines.

Latest posts

Back