Successful smoke out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Enough
Had a call to a swarm yesterday, which had arrived and set home inside a farm building.

Great I thought.:rolleyes:
Out of duty I turned up and usually expect to see bees entering through many holes, in an inaccessible place, deep in someone's residence, impossible to remove except by dismantling and too dangerous for access and for safety to try and smoke them out.

Anyway, on this occasion, I saw the bees were entering into a granite wall through a single cavity.

The farmer explained that where they were was a sealed up window.
So I guess they were in the void left inbetween the two walls.

Behind the wall was the loft of the dairy farm, where they kept their feed. There was a fixed ladder going up there for access and it looked like the bees could crawl through the cracks of the outer wall into this room.

What's more, the bees residence was largely granite, so no risk of setting the place alight and no one was really around to get stung.

Having assessed it all, I thought I'd give it a go the next day on the basis that they would be more likely to leave, having only been in a day as they'd not have much comb and most probably not any brood of note if at all.

So I set up a hive the other side of the wall, resting in the loft of the dairy shed and set about smoking the hole.

Sure enough bees poured out.

Not a nice job at all to be doing, but I consoled myself that the distress they'd experience is better than being killed off by the farmer and that I'd try my best to molly-coddle them through winter.

After some 30 mins, no more bees were coming out, so I blocked up the hole with some scrunched up tissue and left it like that till sundown.

I called the farmer to let him know that I'd be back and not to be alarmed at seeing bees flying everywhere. I explained that they would be very confused and somewhat distressed and would clump up somewhere and hopefully I could then hive them.

I could see they were crawling through the cracks of the wall and a few were going into the hive. So I smoked the whole outside facia, to make them go into the cracks of the wall and into the loft.

So I returned at sundown, hoping for the best (they would be in the hive) but fearing the worst (they'd be clumped somewhere else inaccessible) and found 99% of them in the hive!

I've attached a few pics.
I would have had more except my memory card ran out after my daughter assured me it was empty!!

Isnt it a great feeling when something goes well, hope they do well for you, I did a cut out from a cavity at an old folks home shed two days ago ,went back last night all bees in the box, hived them at midnight as my apiary is an hour away (BY torchlight i might add!!) .went to bed happy,
happy days for us beeks when we achieve our aims :):)

Isnt it a great feeling when something goes well, hope they do well for you, I did a cut out from a cavity at an old folks home shed two days ago ,went back last night all bees in the box, hived them at midnight as my apiary is an hour away (BY torchlight i might add!!) .went to bed happy,
happy days for us beeks when we achieve our aims :):)
Good for you!:)
Hope they build up nice and strong for winter.
Cut outs are messy jobs in my experience.
Either way, removing a colony can be a hard task involving many trips.

I too had to traverse some cornish hillside by torchlight to take them to my out apiary.

I couldn't help but thinking, only a beekeeper would understand this madness as everyone else was no doubt tucked up in bed!

you are right .. must be crazy we tried spotlights but the bees from my other hives came out, must have thought it was time to forage

Nice one. Looking at that lovely blue sky you had the right weather for it.

I am going to an empty house tomorrow to remove a colony that has set up house in the space between some shutters and a closed window - should be fun.

As the house is empty I can get at it from inside - no ladders whooopeee:)

Yep, milking twice a day, once at 8am and once at 3pm. Out to graze inbetween.
I saw the 3pm one. There were some 20+ cats and kittens lining up for the milk. lol!
Some with heads in buckets!

Back