Sublimox

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I’m thinking about buying a Sublimox vaporiser but reading up a bit shows that using Api-Bioxal in it trashes the OA chamber because of the sugar that’s included in the mix. Obviously normal OA Crystals can be used for best results in the Sublimox but they’re illegal to use 😜! Read about using tin foil so doesn’t gunk up the chamber but sounds like to much faff! Does anybody actually use Api-Bioxal in their Sublimox machines?

Thanks 👍

Does anybody actually use Api-Bioxal in their Sublimox machines?

I think those that use Api- bioloxal talk about using it, those that don't talk about it anymore have gone treatment free.

I think those that use Api- bioloxal talk about using it, those that don't talk about it anymore have gone treatment free.

But they are holding onto their machines for sentimental reasons...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But they are holding onto their machines for sentimental reasons...

:icon_204-2:
We have all gone Varroa free in Cornwall..
... except for one chap in Torpoint , who has thousands to give away for free if anyone wants some!

Red Bee.. if you do buy one can I borrow it so I can compare it to the Varromoore and the Varrox that I do not use anymore?

Yeghes da

I know of at least one person using a sublimox with apibioxal. Foil liners pre-made and reckons to get three to four vapes before needing to change the liner. Long forceps for removing and adding new foil liner plus additional time for new liners to come up to temperature. Still far quicker than a varrox if you have several hives.
It appears that as the treatment is part of an educational course legalities have to be adhered to.

I recently applied Api bioxal to my first hive. At the end of the season last year I left a super on top of my brood box as it was 50% full of honey and the bees were still happily filling the empty cells, my view was they had given lots of honey during the summer leave them with these stores as well as those in the brood. I never gave oxalic acid treatment a thought when I left the super on. My question is this, now I have treated the colony, brood box and super can I use the super this year and safely take honey stored in it?

Yes you can.
Oxalic acid is a natural component of honey and it's been shown that trickled oxalic acid is not detectable following season.

Actually not been formally shown as far as I know.
And a more pressing question is whether you can vaporise with supers on, or by temporarily removing the supers during a flow etc.
Again not shown, and I personally wouldn't risk it.

OA levels will rise upon treatment ... but no-one has measured what to.
OA is a natural constituent of honey ... yes.
OA levels will fall after treatment ... but how fast? It certainly takes 5-7 days going by the time the mites drop for.

:icon_204-2:

We have all gone Varroa free in Cornwall..

... except for one chap in Torpoint , who has thousands to give away for free if anyone wants some!

Red Bee.. if you do buy one can I borrow it so I can compare it to the Varromoore and the Varrox that I do not use anymore?

Yeghes da

I haven't been on here long enough to recognise whether this is a forum in-joke, my suspicions are aroused but if it isn't I'd be very interested in what management techniques are being used? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reference to “having to use Apibioxal” at great expense due to non essential additives to get a veterinary medicine license making its use compulsory rather than the always used plain oxalic with no wasted additive that is very cheap.

Reference to “having to use Apibioxal” at great expense due to non essential additives to get a veterinary medicine license making its use compulsory rather than the always used plain oxalic with no wasted additive that is very cheap.

:winner1st:
Rhubarb... Rhubarb... Rhubarb...... as Drew Prickharrd would say if he kept bees!
Yeghes da

Actually not been formally shown as far as I know.

There are references to a couple of papers in this review on Oxalic acid treatments for varoosis by RADEMACHER and HARZ that suggest that evaporation of OA does not lead to contamination of honey, although at least one of these vaped in late autumn and assayed spring honey.

Yes ... the treat in the autumn and test in the Spring is pretty meaningless. I don't have access to Moosbeckhofer R., Baumgartner M. (2002) Erste Ergebnisse zur V arroabekämpfung in Österreich, Bienenvater 11, 9–12 ... and couldn't translate it anyway :( They indicate that 'winter' honey didn't have higher levels, but is that the day after, a week later or what?

Discussion on Beesource appears to have some people lifting the supers off, treating and replacing them (perhaps after clearing them before removal??) ... or some variation thereof. I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.

OA isn't that hard to test for, though the kits are expensive, but the definitive assay remains to be done.

Yes ... the treat in the autumn and test in the Spring is pretty meaningless. I don't have access to Moosbeckhofer R., Baumgartner M. (2002) Erste Ergebnisse zur V arroabekämpfung in Österreich, Bienenvater 11, 9–12 ... and couldn't translate it anyway :( They indicate that 'winter' honey didn't have higher levels, but is that the day after, a week later or what?
I don't have access either. I just picked them up from the review saying that vaping didn't affect honey. Obviously more work needed.

I haven't been on here long enough to recognise whether this is a forum in-joke, my suspicions are aroused but if it isn't I'd be very interested in what management techniques are being used? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignore him he is a pure crank and talks in his own language that only he understands in his weird head, read through the threads or even PM and i will give you a list of people too and not too listen to..;)

Latest posts

Back