Stupid Question Time - AS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo8916

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,

So I have decided that my preferred method of swarm control this year will be AS.

I understand how to do it and the importance of which hive the original queen is in etc.

My question relates to moving the hive the second time, to the other side of the new hive in original position.

I have read loads of different things about it and they all say to do this but none really explain why? And whether it is really necessary?

I ask this as my current site (in a garden) doesn't have enough space (i.e 12ft) in a line to accommodate this second manipulation.

So is it really necessary or would the first manipulations suffice? As in move old hive to new spot, put queen in new hive on old spot, with a couple of frames of brood/stores and nurse bees so that flying bees return to old queen, then either re-queen or allow old hive in new spot to raise new queen.

Probably a stupid question but hey ho....

You don't have to move the hive the second time. The idea behind it is that it strengthens the hive with the old queen i.e. the hive more likely to produce a crop, and it reduces the chances of a cast emerging from the hive with queen cells.

Instead of the second move a day or two before the first virgin queen emerges you can simply kill all but one good sealed queen cell. That way you can be sure to prevent a cast emerging from the hive with queen cells.

It is also a good idea to check the hive with the old queen a few days after the AS as they sometimes have another go at rearing cells at this point - usually if these are destroyed they give up cell building - for a while at least.

You don't have to move the hive the second time. The idea behind it is that it strengthens the hive with the old queen i.e. the hive more likely to produce a crop, and it reduces the chances of a cast emerging from the hive with queen cells.

Instead of the second move a day or two before the first virgin queen emerges you can simply kill all but one good sealed queen cell. That way you can be sure to prevent a cast emerging from the hive with queen cells.

It is also a good idea to check the hive with the old queen a few days after the AS as they sometimes have another go at rearing cells at this point - usually if these are destroyed they give up cell building - for a while at least.

Thanks. I actually just found a thread that explained it perfectly.

Cheers

AS just means 'artifical swarm' which covers each and every method. What I think you mean is you have used the Pagden method thus the second manipulation is moving the Q- hive from one side to the other (the hives only need to be a few feet apart BTW).
No, you don't need to do it and, if you are short of space, when you first do the split you can move the Q- hive with the QC's as far away as you like :D

when you first do the split you can move the Q- hive with the QC's as far away as you like :D

:iagree:
I always move them away.
I have to remember to label them so I know who belongs to who ......age and memory, I'm afraid.
I'm having to name my queens......cringe......as numbers don't work for me any more

:iagree:
I always move them away.
I have to remember to label them so I know who belongs to who ......age and memory, I'm afraid.
I'm having to name my queens......cringe......as numbers don't work for me any more

I'm the same. I name everything. Named a stray cat in the garden Dave. She is now called Bella and lives in the house!

I have hooks on each brood box and plastic numbered tags (modified restaurant table markers) for each queen - the tag moves with the queen and each record sheet is for the queen not the colony. It's a handy aide memoire - especially first thing in the spring :D

Latest posts

Back