Stung through leather gloves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I've had bees for just over a year now and loving it.I react quite badly to stings so I keep well covered up.Checked my hives on Thursday and felt a sting on the back of one of my leather gloves.Thought nothing much about it as I assumed the barb wouldn't get through the gloves.Within 24hrs hand had swollen up like a balloon and had to pack up work early.Anybody else had this problem?,are their different quality of gloves?Thanks.

If you are discussing the thin blue leather with white gauntlet supplied by many of the suppliers then no they are not sting proof and as far as I am aware do not claim to be.

PH

The fingers on mine seem to be sting-proof, but the backs less so.
I used to wash mine after every use (washing soda) but now I use disposable gloves over the top.

The fingers on mine seem to be sting-proof, but the backs less so.
I used to wash mine after every use (washing soda) but now I use disposable gloves over the top.

I use heavy duty marigold type gloves similar to the ones Heather describes with latex or nitrile gloves over, the small extra thickness given by the over glove makes them sting-proof (so far). I have a couple of hives that are very enthusiastic in their use of propolis so a change of over glove makes life much less sticky.

Buy the blue rubber gauntlets and wear thin latex over the top. Stingproof and thinner than leather.
Cazza

I got some black heavy rubber gloves with white inner from Trago, not sure where else to get them from though, sorry, not helpful, I cant even remember the make, but they are good. Last for ages and wash easily in a bucket of washing soda water on the go. About £1.49 pair. Wear them inside out, obviously:.)
Recommended to me by a chap from Newquay who worked for some Tea supplier i think.

I have only just started to keep bee's I have been using the leather gauntlet gloves with a pair of nitrile over the top mainly to help keep the leather clean but it might help with stings as well.

Buy the blue rubber gauntlets and wear thin latex over the top. Stingproof and thinner than leather.
Cazza

Is wearing two pairs of rubber gloves stingpoof then?

We got 50 pairs of long blue nitrile and 100 latex gloves for £18 including delivery, which only two two days from a medical and tattoo suppliers.

Check them out :-

mytattooandpiercingsupplies.com/search.asp?page=2&returnto=search.asp&searchfield=&cat=&departmentID=7&categoryID=

Can I ask what people use to close the end of the guantlets, RubberBands?

Wear gloves for hygiene/keeping propolis off the fingers :)
You will get stung I promise you !
If you swell dramatically, then better to collect stings in the hand/fingers until your system begins to accept venom ( this does happen with time) I personally took for ever but protecting the hands excessively will lead to your being the butt of someones humour when sporting a huge swollen nose /cheek ear etc.
Should you need to do a drastic manipulation to a known stroppy colony, then take all sensible precautions :D
VM

The cuff of my beesuit covers the glove ends usually, sometimes slips off but I rarely get stung from my hives.

PH

Thanks to Heather for posting the Lakeland gloves link.

I bought some yesterday (3 for2 offer) at a local Lakeland store and they are great, very comfortable lining and close fitting. Just need to work out a way to close the cuffs. I seem to remember someone posting about using the open end of socks cut to fit like gauntlets, and pulled over the gloves.

Hopefully the bees will like the smell of these gloves as they do have a distinctive aroma :)

Latest posts

Back