STUDENT ARCHITECTURE PROJECT

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aimie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I’m Aimie, a 3rd year architecture student doing a conceptual project focused around creating a honey farm. The site is based in Twickenham, Richmond and is directly next to the River Thames. I am trying to gain as much information as possible regarding the spaces required for beekeeping on a large scale.
currently I believe the farm would need enough space for 100+ hives, PPE storage, an uncapping/extractor room, somewhere to separate the wax and honey and a produce storage room. In addition to this there would be the standard provisions in places of work (toilets, kitchenette etc.) I’m in the early stages of spatial studies for my project and am hoping to inform this with as much research as possible.

So I’m turning to the experts… if you could design your ‘dream’ (doesn’t have to be 100% realistic) beekeeping set up, what spaces would you require? How many m2 would you be after in each space?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for accepting me :)

I'd personally look at some variant on Slovenian AZ hives as it would look smart and given the location I would look to incorporate some form of shop/cafe to boost direct to public sales of hive products and bees (and potentially beekeeping kit too). As a result I'd make the honey processing area visible to public as part of the experience for the few days a year it occurs plus have some form of educational area about insects and biodiversity... Not necessarily the approach I'd take in a rural location though.

I'd personally look at some variant on Slovenian AZ hives as it would look smart and given the location I would look to incorporate some form of shop/cafe to boost direct to public sales of hive products and bees (and potentially beekeeping kit too). As a result I'd make the honey processing area visible to public as part of the experience for the few days a year it occurs plus have some form of educational area about insects and biodiversity... Not necessarily the approach I'd take in a rural location though.

Thank you so much that’s really helpful! I like the idea of the AZ hives, it’s not something I had seen before.

It’s very reassuring to read we’re on the same page with regards to incorporating destinations and activities for the public!

Do you happen to know how much space should be dedicated to the different processes involved with making honey/bee products?

Hi everyone!

I’m Aimie, a 3rd year architecture student doing a conceptual project focused around creating a honey farm. The site is based in Twickenham, Richmond and is directly next to the River Thames. I am trying to gain as much information as possible regarding the spaces required for beekeeping on a large scale.
currently I believe the farm would need enough space for 100+ hives, PPE storage, an uncapping/extractor room, somewhere to separate the wax and honey and a produce storage room. In addition to this there would be the standard provisions in places of work (toilets, kitchenette etc.) I’m in the early stages of spatial studies for my project and am hoping to inform this with as much research as possible.

So I’m turning to the experts… if you could design your ‘dream’ (doesn’t have to be 100% realistic) beekeeping set up, what spaces would you require? How many m2 would you be after in each space?

Have a look at this as part of your research, attracts members of the public through their shop and educational facilities. Good luck with your project
https://quincehoneyfarm.co.uk/

I used to live in Strawberry Vale
You will definitely have to rethink the number of hives. You can't keep 100 hives in line place where you are. Are there any bee farmers who keep that many colonies in the one place in the UK?
You could keep a few for the public to look at so some pretty WBC's would be attractive to look at.

Thank you so much that’s really helpful! I like the idea of the AZ hives, it’s not something I had seen before.

It’s very reassuring to read we’re on the same page with regards to incorporating destinations and activities for the public!

Do you happen to know how much space should be dedicated to the different processes involved with making honey/bee products?
Speaking of AZ hives, I have a couple in my small summerhouse (which is now just a bee shed) Slovenia, where they originated and are widely used, is quite big on Apitherapy. Some of their bee houses have beds next to and even on top of hives so you can experience the sounds and smells. They also have breathing apparatus to inhale the hive air/smells. If you’re looking at the farm having visitor experiences, that might be of interest.

You will definitely have to rethink the number of hives. You can't keep 100 hives in line place where you are. Are there any bee farmers who keep that many colonies in the one place in the UK?
You could keep a few for the public to look at so some pretty WBC's would be attractive to look at.

100 was a random number chose to aim for, I know very little about bees so will have a rethink. Thank you for raising this! What are WBC’s?

Speaking of AZ hives, I have a couple in my small summerhouse (which is now just a bee shed) Slovenia, where they originated and are widely used, is quite big on Apitherapy. Some of their bee houses have beds next to and even on top of hives so you can experience the sounds and smells. They also have breathing apparatus to inhale the hive air/smells. If you’re looking at the farm having visitor experiences, that might be of interest.

This is amazing, thank you! Does this in any way intrude upon the bees? I’ll have a look at this in more detail as it’s a really interesting idea.

:iagree: piling a hundred colonies into one small site anywhere and expecting them to thrive is being optimistic in the extreme, but especially at that type of location

Hi everyone!

Well for me any apiary set up starts with what is the year round forage like in, lets say, a 2 mile radius. !00 + hives of any sort in one place in the UK is probably a very tall order. I wouldn't even have thought about keeping all my eggs in one basket for various reasons. The next thing I consider is accessibility together with proximity to human dwellings and flooding. Its not about space per se, its also about working in harmony with neighbours, landscape and nature. Space and storage matter, mainly for the area you consider to be your base which might also include any apiary.

:iagree: piling a hundred colonies into one small site anywhere and expecting them to thrive is being optimistic in the extreme, but especially at that type of location

As this is a purely conceptual academic project, we can push the boundaries as to what would be considered standard. Do you know where I could find accurate information regarding how many colonies can be kept? Perhaps per acre? Thank you :)

(I’m wanting to make sure I strike the balance of considering all the facts whilst still being adventurous!)

As this is a purely conceptual academic project, we can push the boundaries as to what would be considered standard. Do you know where I could find accurate information regarding how many colonies can be kept? Perhaps per acre? Thank you :)

(I’m wanting to make sure I strike the balance of considering all the facts whilst still being adventurous!)
I'm wondering why bees seem to crop up so regularly in university design projects? Hardly a year goes by without a tentative enquiry about a new hive design or something related.🤔

Even if this is just an academic concept, to have any sense of validity it surely needs to be rooted in practical application, otherwise it becomes just another futile exercise. You can find various suggested maximum numbers of hive per acre/square mile/km all over the web. What matters in the end is weather and forage.

Well for me any apiary set up starts with what is the year round forage like in, lets say, a 2 mile radius. !00 + hives of any sort in one place in the UK is probably a very tall order. I wouldn't even have thought about keeping all my eggs in one basket for various reasons. The next thing I consider is accessibility together with proximity to human dwellings and flooding. Its not about space per se, its also about working in harmony with neighbours, landscape and nature. Space and storage matter, mainly for the area you consider to be your base which might also include any apiary.

Thank you!

I'm wondering why bees seem to crop up so regularly in university design projects? Hardly a year goes by without a tentative enquiry about a new hive design or something related.🤔

I wouldn’t have the answer to this. For me, it is an area I’m interested in and wanted to explore within my studies. I’m really enjoying the research process and am grateful for everyone’s help.

Even if this is just an academic concept, to have any sense of validity it surely needs to be rooted in practical application, otherwise it becomes just another futile exercise. You can find various suggested maximum numbers of hive per acre/square mile/km all over the web. What matters in the end is weather and forage.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I’ll delve further into weather and forage research for this site!

I suspect that the climate will be milder in thw proposed location than in many others around the UK and whilst there may not be acres pf forage, by virtue of there being a lot of gardens there will probably be a fairly consistent supply of nectar through much of the year, better than in many rural areas. Forage density is worth assessing as is distance from places like Kew Gardens.

Agree with the eggs in one basket concept being an issue though.

Back