STUDENT ARCHITECTURE PROJECT

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect that the climate will be milder in thw proposed location than in many others around the UK and whilst there may not be acres pf forage, by virtue of there being a lot of gardens there will probably be a fairly consistent supply of nectar through much of the year, better than in many rural areas. Forage density is worth assessing as is distance from places like Kew Gardens.

Agree with the eggs in one basket concept being an issue though.

That’s a really interesting point, thank you for raising it. I will rethink this idea!

I suspect that the climate will be milder in thw proposed location than in many others around the UK and whilst there may not be acres pf forage, by virtue of there being a lot of gardens there will probably be a fairly consistent supply of nectar through much of the year, better than in many rural areas. Forage density is worth assessing as is distance from places like Kew Gardens.

Agree with the eggs in one basket concept being an issue though.
Of course you have also got to consider that all the fashionista in that area will have a hive in their garden or on their rooftop, so the area is probably nearing saturation point bee wise already

Of course you have also got to consider that all the fashionista in that area will have a hive in their garden or on their rooftop, so the area is probably nearing saturation point bee wise already

Beebase may give an indication but its worth an attempt and then increasing depending on how the colonies get on. I'd be more concerned about potential increasing numbers of beekeepers following visiting such a site.

Beebase may give an indication but its worth an attempt and then increasing depending on how the colonies get on. I'd be more concerned about potential increasing numbers of beekeepers following visiting such a site.

Thank you, I’ll have a look at Beebase :)

Thank you, I’ll have a look at Beebase :)
unless you are registered you will get no information on beebase, you will have to register the apiary site on beebase and then you will be able to find out how many other apiaries are in the near vicinity - you will still not be able to find out how many individual hives are at each apiary, or where exactly those apiaries are..

There would appear to be almost 500 other registered apiaries within 10km of bushy park - so Beebase say about my newly registered apiary.

You could try having a look at Twickenham & Thames Valley BKA - they have a very nice teaching apiary very close to Twickenham high street.

You could try having a look at Twickenham & Thames Valley BKA - they have a very nice teaching apiary very close to Twickenham high street.

I emailed 2 weeks ago and haven’t had a reply yet, I will email again on Monday but don’t wish to pester haha :)

I emailed 2 weeks ago and haven’t had a reply yet, I will email again on Monday but don’t wish to pester haha :)
Once again this forum comes to the rescue. Tell everybody how marvellous we all are won’t you. 😉
How did you find us by the way ?

Once again this forum comes to the rescue. Tell everybody how marvellous we all are won’t you. 😉
How did you find us by the way ?

Haha of course! I’m really not sure what I searched for exactly, but I’ve been looking at beekeeping blogs and I think that’s how I ended up here :)

You are not far from Kew gardens who have a lot of interest in bees and I am sure there are students there who may be able to add more ideas as they have a lot of public integration.
I was a student there 53 years ago so I can't give you any names to look up.

Latest posts

Back