Strimming near hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Scavenger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I need to cut the grass around my hives should I wear my suit or would overalls be ok?:hairpull:

I'd wear your suit/veil and gloves if poss, too, until you know how your bees will react.

Mine just stick their noses out of the hive and that's about it, but some of the association bees really take exception to a strimmer.... (mowers seem to be less offensive,to bees than strimmers, in my experience)

I cut the grass around mine in the late evening when they've all gone in and settled. Early morning would be OK. but the grass tends to be too wet from the overnight dew.
Never wear anything special to do the job though.

Thanks. I will give it a go later. My bees are very calm so fingers crossed, I won't upset them.

Like Bontbee has suggested, the first time I cut the grass immediately in front and around my new bees I wore my suit but they didn't seem to mind. Today I strimmed within ten yards and had no bother.

I guess it's down to temperament among other variables.

I've just been doing that very thing today. Midday sunshine, lots of flying bees. I wore my bee suit and veil. I'm pretty sure I would have been fine if I hadn't, but decided I might as well play it safe.

Like Bontbee has suggested, the first time I cut the grass immediately in front and around my new bees I wore my suit but they didn't seem to mind. Today I strimmed within ten yards and had no bother.

I guess it's down to temperament among other variables.

I wil let you know, tomorrow, how it turns out.

I not only strim round my hives but under them.. Ditto with the mower.

No problems in T shirt and shorts.

Except for a nasty hive - requeened but a few hundred still nasty bees. They just attack me... Never had it before and hope never to have it after they are replaced in c 4 weeks time.

If they are thinking of swarming for some reason my strimmer makes them go! Three times this year! I think it is the noise! Or maybe.... Just coincidence!
E

If they are thinking of swarming for some reason my strimmer makes them go! Three times this year! I think it is the noise! Or maybe.... Just coincidence!
E

They are a captured swarm from 3 weeks ago so I don't think they will swarm again. Fingers crossed!!

I not only strim round my hives but under them.. Ditto with the mower.

No problems in T shirt and shorts.

Except for a nasty hive - requeened but a few hundred still nasty bees. They just attack me... Never had it before and hope never to have it after they are replaced in c 4 weeks time.

I have just suited up with light overalls on top and, as I worked towards the hive, the bees at the entrance, watched me and as I got closer they all went inside. When I finished and turned the strimmer off, I could see them peeking out to see if I had gone. They are, now, back to normal. They must be the best bees around!!

Latest posts

Back