strange looking bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iann41

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
quite a lot now
I was sat at the hive entrance the other day, as y do, when an unusual looking bee came out. It had the head, thorax, legs and wings of a normal sized worker bee but the abdomen was half sized. I don't think it could fly or was unwilling and held its wings out rather than folded back. It looked like it was 'middle aged' so not a newly emerged worker. The other bees just ignored it. Any ideas what went wrong with it.

all 10 hives are varroa free. not 1 single mite so can't be varroa.

held its wings out rather than folded back.

Often wings separated like a letter "K" indicate one of several conditions that can affect bees. It's not diagnostic in itself, but, other tests can be performed to find out what is wrong. Would you say this describes its wings?

all 10 hives are varroa free. not 1 single mite so can't be varroa.

How do you know?
This time of year, not long before a lot of beekeepers treat, is peak time for the mites.
Shortened stunted abdomen and inability to fly is a symptom of DWV.
I would measure the load if they were my bees.

B+,
the wings were as you described like a 'K' but not overly so. I do think the worker bee had trouble flying as when I picked it up it just walked around with no intention of trying to fly away. I don't think it's CBPV as only symptom was a short abdomen. Otherwise a normal bee.

Millet
only seen 1 in over 20 years of beekeeping and I suspect its a 'special' bee. (trying to be PC. something I struggle with sometimes)

thanks to both of you

ericA, could be DWV but as I've said no varroa. I understand it lays dormant in low levels in most hives. Only seen the 1 bee.

Last edited:
It had the head, thorax, legs and wings of a normal sized worker bee but the abdomen was half sized.

It hadn't just been involved in a little stinging incident had it? Tends to shorten their abdomen's by a segment or two...

I found a weird looking worker in one of my colonies this spring (photo). The colony did have obvious Varroa infestation so this could be the result of DWV (which can affect body development as well as wings) or maybe it was the result of excessive parasitisation by the mites within the cell.

Attachments

• deformed bee close up.JPG
    deformed bee close up.JPG
    371 KB · Views: 52
August with MAQS and December with Oxalic. However this colony has the major weakness of always (over the last 6 years) having far more Varroa than all my other colonies. The current Queen needs culling and replacing from different strain but the bees are gentle and the colony strong & fairly productive (about 80 lbs+ honey most years) and has shown no inclination to swarm this year so am reluctant to do it yet. They are kept in the garden and don't bother anyone even when they come real close. You can mow right up to them and they don't come out and attack. I use them for taking close up photographs as they stay still on the comb and also have video clips of them doing the various bee dances.

I found a weird looking worker in one of my colonies this spring (photo). The colony did have obvious Varroa infestation so this could be the result of DWV (which can affect body development as well as wings) or maybe it was the result of excessive parasitisation by the mites within the cell.

Seen that many a time when playing with the the bees, i do not play with them as much these days but they are exactly the same as when i first played with them.

Beefriendly
I think you have hit the nail on the head. There were a few interlopers being ejected during my time watching the hive.

Thanks everyone

August with MAQS and December with Oxalic. However this colony has the major weakness of always (over the last 6 years) having far more Varroa than all my other colonies. The current Queen needs culling and replacing from different strain but the bees are gentle and the colony strong & fairly productive (about 80 lbs+ honey most years) and has shown no inclination to swarm this year so am reluctant to do it yet. They are kept in the garden and don't bother anyone even when they come real close. You can mow right up to them and they don't come out and attack. I use them for taking close up photographs as they stay still on the comb and also have video clips of them doing the various bee dances.

Not you - the OP!! :D

Latest posts

Back