Strange drop after oxalic vap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just had lunch and read this thread.

I need a lie down.

I'm thinking it's wax moth poo
Thanks Michael, now looked and found other threads with pictures which resemble what I've got. With some unseasonably warm temps coming (14c) I could open up and investigate further. Any thoughts on taking action now or leaving to spring?

Wax moth is endemic, and at those temps the bees will be active enough to keep it in check.
If you did open up, how would you deal with it anyway?

Thanks Michael, now looked and found other threads with pictures which resemble what I've got. With some unseasonably warm temps coming (14c) I could open up and investigate further. Any thoughts on taking action now or leaving to spring?
What can you achieve by opening up now?
Nothing
Leave them alone until spring

Well aren't you going to tell the thickoes on here what it was/is? Secret.

The problem is now the bee fiddlers will be extra keen to open up now as the forecast for mild December weather is here, what they hope to gain is as we know nothing except to unnecessarily disturb the bees.

The problem is now the bee fiddlers will be extra keen to open up now as the forecast for mild December weather is here, what they hope to gain is as we know nothing except to unnecessarily disturb the bees.
God.....I hope not! Not if they have paid any attention to this forum!

There will be some forum lurkers I no doubt who will not have the will power to resist and for sure some LBKA members around the country who will certainly be fiddlers and others may well do so/follow suit on a bad recommendation to do so.

Could be either wax moth or earwig they are very similar.

Except moths will be inside the hive and earwigs outside
Maybe

And wax moth poo would be in lines under the frames and lying North South as the heavy end would drop through the mesh floor first - whereas earwigs would be on the inspection board and randomly distributed ....

Maybe ...

wax moth poo would be in lines under the frames and lying North South as the heavy end would drop through
and the lighter end will be tapered - that's to avoid their arses closing with a bang

Latest posts

Back