Strange discovery

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilberdyke John

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
This morning I was lifting a bale of hay from the stack and after removal a cloud of very tiny but bee shaped insects came boiling out of a gap beneath where it had been. The light levels and their speed of movement made it impossible to get a proper look. Most of them circled me a couple of times then headed off into open air and light.
The only image I got was of the vacated nest which I've tried unsuccessfully to add to this post.
Any thoughts on what they might be?

Edit I've been back for a better look with a veil and better light levels. The nest appears to be a paper construction and a few insects are coming and going. They are about 1/3 or 1/2 the size of common wasps and have little to no interest in the human with a camera.
I'll not need to disturb the next (big) bale for 7 or 8 weeks so they'll likely have finished occupation by then.

Last edited:
Would love to see the image you for of the best
E

Does look like wasps but I am no expert. Hope someone can answer it
E

Possibly Polistes dominula the European Paper Wasp.....

Last edited:
Not 100% sure but it does look very much like the european paper wasp.

D0AQHSVQLSVQHS9Q30WQVKUQZS4KTK9QLSWQRSXKRS7KBKIKJ0IKDK4KHS1QCKMKDKSKNK6QPKHK2K.jpg

Last edited:
It's Vespula vulgaris - common wasp. I moved a nest last weekend and the workers were really small. They can vary somewhat in size depending on nest conditions, food etc.

Yes Karen, I’ve noticed the workers seem different sizes. We had a nest under the eaves in a House Martin cup and I used to watch them. Then they started building outside it till the paper construction was three times the size of the cup so it had to go.
Most of the wasp nests I see are in old mole tunnels

They had a slow start to the year with the beast from the east. We saw it in some bumbles too but they are catching up now. It's going to be interesting to find out exactly how the weather affected them when the data collected is analysed.

Latest posts

Back