Straining honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi.

Currently we strain our honey through a 300 odd micron mesh as per the picture.

Feels like we need to scale up beyond this wobbly legged thing.

What's the next up appropriate piece of equipment to filter through to that level?

Or maybe we.ll have to make a more sturdy system for this one.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230626_215317_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230626_215317_Chrome.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 0
We use the thorn's 20 litre bucket (+ valve) with a 600microns, 400 microns and 200 microns strainer, as advised by my mentor who has kept bees for 40 years.

The honey with bits of comb exiting the spinner passes through a large colander into one of two buckets which alternate. When 3/4 full the bucket is tipped into the settling tank via metal double strainers.
- Using the colander reduces the need to scrape out the first strainer.
- my customers like to know I'm not filtering out all the pollen, propolis etc.

I rough strain with the standard 2 part metal type from the extractor, when the buckets are warmed and going into the bottling tank I run through the fine conical nylon type.

The nylon fruit and veg bags from supermarkets will remove black flecks and even crystals from honey.
If you have plenty of time of course....
Ha yeah. Never enough time. Especially on a couple of tonnes!

The nylon fruit and veg bags from supermarkets will remove black flecks and even crystals from honey.
If you have plenty of time of course....
I try to avoid black flecks by not including dead bees in the extraction process:)

They are of course bee hairs..

My customers this year all want LOTS of pollen as many appear to be hay fever sufferers. Two metal sieves suffice.

I've never put my honey through filters as fine as that. None of my customers have ever complained about either my soft set or runny honey. Neither have the judges who awarded me prizes at honey shows.

The majority of my clientele are either snowflake generation whose kids think all food originates from supermarket delivery vans,or ,as my parents used to say, "townies"

"ewww!!! - theres something in it! :willy_nilly:"

Unfortunately my product therefore has to be flawless.

The majority of my clientele are either snowflake generation whose kids think all food originates from supermarket delivery vans,or ,as my parents used to say, "townies"

"ewww!!! - theres something in it! :willy_nilly:"

Unfortunately my product therefore has to be flawless.
Everyone needs to see an abattoir in action...

No thanks, I'd have nightmares for years after seeing that!!!!

Everyone needs to see an abattoir in action...
When I was in junior school I was always the one tasked with drawing chicken guts and giblets out in preparation for the table as my small hands fitted inside easily. Needless to say I've never been accused of having snowflake tendencies in later life. 🐓

Back