Storing supers on the hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyRaes

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 planned, in reality 7 + 1 nuc + 1 A/S into a commercial for a friend
OK, not my suggestion, but thought I'd run it past the forum.

Would it be sensible to store supers on the hive? In other words, put the super above a closed crown board.

Would it be sensible to store supers on the hive during Apiguard treatment? If not, why not? (I believe that it would still be contaminated, even though blocked with a crown board, as it wouldn't be airtight, but I'm open to comment...)

I've got two supers sitting on a hive at the moment just because I've not been bothered to carry them to the car to bring home. I guess the only problem would be they become a pain to keep shifting to inspect the hive?

I wouldn't store empty supers on my hives because my apiary is at the top of a mountain and can get VERY windy, I don't see a problem if your hives are in a sheltered position though.

No idea on the Apiguard sorry

I suppose this is suggested permanent storage when the bees are not filling them.

For me it has to be a no. They will get in the way if you need to check the bees treatments ect. They will not be propolised and stand a greater chance of getting dislodged if disturbed or strong winds ect. If they sit directly on the crown board and that perhaps only 6mm thick lots of heat will be lost in the supers.

If you are still keen to do it, my points I have mentioned can be overcome by a 2” slab of insulation over the crown board and a good ratchet strap around the hive but you will still have the dismantling to deal with if required.

If they are on a crown board you will probably get wax moth!
E

That is the worst place to store them.
It hinders nursing of the hive.

And storing combs in open air? They will be molded and ruined.

- How I know it? - I have done it.

Last edited:
So where's the best place to store them?
Wet or dry..

Where do you keep yours?

Back