Storing honey.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwenyn11

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What's the best way to store your honey? Glass jars, stainless steel tanks or plastic tanks?

Buckets work well I have one I dip in to now and again which has 10 year old+ creamed heather in it and the quality is lovely still.

PH

Daft question maybe

Horses for courses - less honey, smaller bucket?

No, not too much. As long as it is airtight and the honey is 'dry' enough.

When it eventually granulates the surface should be dry looking. Honey tends to absorb moisture from the air if the water content is lower, so the relative humidity above the honey, in a sealed bucket, is fairly constant.

The only time I have had fermenting honey was when I melted only part of a bucket. It must have been marginal overall but OK, and the melted part fermented. Lesson learned a long time ago, never to be repeated.

RAB

Daft question maybe

Horses for courses - less honey, smaller bucket?

RAB

well yes, I wouldn't try and store 5lbs of honey in a 25 litre bucket :) - just knowing that honey is hygroscopic made me wonder if it was advisable to have the bucket filled almost to the brim rather than having 2,4 or even 6" of air space over it.

Latest posts

Back