Storing drawn frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tponter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Evening everybody.
I looked at my frames this afternoon and the un-drawn frames were fine but last years drawn out frames were mouldy. Both were treated with Certan before storage and the drawn frames were put back onto the hives hives wet to clean them up, then stored. The drawn frames had small amounts of pollen / un-capped but viscous honey left in them though. All frames were stored in supers wrapped in bin liners in a cold shed. Would Acetic acid treatment solve this problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

The bees will clean all the mould off.

Just a note. The frames should have been cleaned by the bee before the certan.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Just to confuse.
In my experience bees will never touch mouldy pollen and I now as a matter of routine scrap such combs, and rewax and return at at good time to get them drawn out.

The normal treatment for combs to try and defeat nosema spores is to offer acetic acid. Normally the glacial variety at 80%. To obtain look up lab chem suppliers locally as bee supply houses tent to charge a bit on the steep side for it.

PH

Last year we had some mouldy supers, but the bees cleaned them until they were spotless before storing any honey in them.

Not sure about mouldy pollen though...

Ben P

You won't get pollen in super frames if you are giving your bees a large enough brood-rearing area.

To stop drawn frames containing pollen from going mouldy you could try a sulphur burner.

Latest posts

Back