Stored honey concerns

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
At the end of last season I took off three supers of partially capped honey. These supers have sat in my garage till now. On opening the the supers they smell kind of musty.
On one of the supers, anything that was capped has crystallised. Anything that was not capped is very runny and has bubbles showing when you tilt it.

On another of the supers, the capped cells are still honey consistency, but the uncapped cells are runny again.

My question - is any of this saleable. I am guessing the runny uncapped stuff is not and should be discarded?
If I were to spin all the runny off and discard, then warm the rest and do a further spin, would this be then saleable. I have to empty the supers anyway so will have to spin them.

Will the musty smell transfer to the jar?

Unfortunately I do not have a refractometer.

Probably not fit fir sale
Refractometers for honey are about the same as a lb of honey, if bought on ebay from the far east.
I would feed it back to bees.... put the super on top of the flood... add three 9mm lathes and put brood box on top... bees will have an undefendable source of food and move it up to feed the baby bees*.

Yeghes da

Sorry B+... Brood!!

The honey in the capped cells would likely be OK. As long as it is proper honey and not sugar syrup. The uncapped is fermenting (simple enought to work out?), the crystallised honey is likely ivy. The other could be from anything.

So I would say no, not fit for sale. Likely some not fit for anything other than making mead, some is possibly saleable, but better for feeding back to the bees.

I am currently soaking several crystallized frames in buckets of water to try and dissolve the set honey and save the drawn foundation to use again, these frames where given to the bees last year to clean out but they refused.

If there is out good nectar flow, bees do not clean combs. They cap them next night..

And hive does not have capacity to clean more than two frames in few days.

If you have an artificial swarm and a laying queen with it, an AS cleans 3 frames in a week and draw foudations.

Uncap the honey. Put it into the hive.
Bees suck liquid honey off. Next day spray onto crystals water mist. Let the crystals dilute. Put into the hive and you see that bees have cleaned to half way the comb. Then spray again.

Let them do it at night time.

Do not put frames outside to be cleaned.

If the frames has open fermented parts, clean the site with garden hoast.

If you have power sprayer, it is good to uncap combs.

Latest posts

Back