Stolen Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50 National expanding to 100 +
Milder day so decided to visit the apiaries, bees flying having a much needed cleansing flight, was feeling quite good about everything. That is until I visited one apiary only to discover that 2 colonies in 14 X 12 national hives stolen. They even took the two hive stands. It's a shame to think that more than likely it's beekeepers that have done this.

Despicable. Thieving b******ds.

Really sorry to hear that. Hope you manage to get them back.

You must be gutted I know I would be, and angry and hurt....
And as you say it is another beek that did it. Can you put a description on so all the honest beeks on here can keep an eye out.

It's that time of year ... such a common story and it has to be people who know something about bees ... I hesitate to call them beekeepers ... a few different words come to mind ! sadly I doubt there's much you can do about it ...

Really sorry to hear of your loss of hives. I am also from the Durham area. Any identifying features or markings on your hives that I can keep an eye out for?

I am so sorry to here of the loss. This is what is worrying me about putting my hives in an out apiary.

Mike

All my equipment is home made apart from frames. Saying that it's all made to the same design as purchased equipment. They were 14 X 12 national and they had roofs with a vinyl covering and varroa floors with white painted plywood sliding trays. I would recognise them if I saw them again. Reported to the police and they took serious, theft of property after all. Been a beekeeper for best part if 30 year's never thought about theft as a problem until now gonna start marking my gear .

Last edited:
Maybe someone should design a 'dummy hive' to put in each apiary - with a pressure trigger on the base so that if it's moved it sets off an explosive device that will result in the perpetrator being covered head to foot in some kind of indelible marker.
Either that or a slightly larger explosive device tightly packaged in a metal drum with a couple of pounds of nails...... won't do it again for sure

Maybe someone should design a 'dummy hive' to put in each apiary - with a pressure trigger on the base so that if it's moved it sets off an explosive device that will result in the perpetrator being covered head to foot in Glacial acetic acid.

Or that..

A good job it was an accident then:rolleyes:

I think that when the thieves loaded the hives into there vehicle the hive straps they used snapped and the bees stung there captors badly or is that just wish full thinking

Latest posts

Back