Hives stolen in Cornwall

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, many years work down the drain. It's a horrid thing. Those bees will have been moved on in new hives and sold on.
It's a risk for anybody who keeps bees away from home, sadly

Though I wouldn't fancy it, there's an argument for using non-standard hives eg zest hives for out apiaries. Obvious downside of low mobility for the beekeeper too, but if standard frame sizes not insurmountable.

Though I wouldn't fancy it, there's an argument for using non-standard hives eg zest hives for out apiaries. Obvious downside of low mobility for the beekeeper too, but if standard frame sizes not insurmountable.
Great idea you would have to be really stupid to steel any of those😂

Good point. Though plenty of people just steal the bees I think.

On another note, I wish just once they wouldn't try to put the number of bees in the news articles. The BBC says 320,000, ITV says 400,0000 and Cornwall Live says 500,000......

On another note, I wish just once they wouldn't try to put the number of bees in the news articles. The BBC says 320,000, ITV says 400,0000 and Cornwall Live says 500,000......

And the local BBC Southwest news initially said 5,000! :D:D:D:D:D

I doubt many/any bee thieves would want to bring empty boxes & transfer individual frames - would take a long time Vs block the entrance after flying ceased, ratchet strap around hive & lift into a van! They probably dont suit up.
A cast concrete national floor of significant weight or bonded to others could be a good security point too!

I doubt many/any bee thieves would want to bring empty boxes & transfer individual frames -
They don't do that
They take them away, They are transferred into new boxes then the old ones are disposed of.
I seem to remember somewhere a whole farm building was found with battered old beehives once. That's where the stolen boxes were being dumped

Having had 6 hives stolen in the past I know how it feels.
I felt angry, very emotional, and even a bit depressed afterwards.
Two years work and a considerable amount of financial cost just taken.
The police took details but I doubt beehive thefts is on their top ten list of crimes to investigate using the manpower they have available.
For the newspapers it's a small story to fill a gap on the page, TV likewise I'm guessing.
To the general public its just wooden boxes with wild insects in.
Fellow beekeepers understood and some offered to give me swarms however with no hive to put them in I had to decline.
No insurance cover on beehives left out in a field.
It was a case of starting again, buying one hive and slowly building back up.

One thing I would encourage is that if you do know of a beekeeper in this situation and you have some spare kit. Please consider offering something, even if its just a spare floor or Queen Excluder.

Back