sting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello were new to bees we live in Little Oakley just down the road from you. Me and my husband started with a swarm someone gave us late last summer they look to be ok so far, found about fifty dead outside the hive at the weekend but apparantly thats quite normal. we are really lucky that we have a couple of ex beekeeper friends in the village and we pick their brains frequently. would love to hear how your getting on and if you managed to get on any courses in Kettering. I think I need a course on finding my way around this forum as Im struggling a bit.

Primrose,

From Bo66y's profile: Last Activity: 5th December 2010 02:46 PM

So you will be lucky for him to see this post. A PM might be better but may not be read for a while. He has no e-mail contact.

finding my way around

The search does seem limited but works when you get used to it. Short phrases in inverted commas is a good start.

An awful lot of threads go off topic, often on a tangent never to retun to the topic proper!

Ask away. You are less than 20 miles from me. We often go past on our way to pick up the A14 or to the Hannington Vintage Tractor Club meetings (at Isham).

Regards, RAB

The blue "stingproof" gloves from Maisemore and no doubt other places at c£7/8 are worth it for building up confidence etc, handling grouchy bees, and are machine washable, allow reasonable dexterity and don't seem to keep the pheromone in (clove or peppermint oil - couple of drops in a small bottle of water) masks the smell if you or your glove IS stung.

We get the odd bee on our washing when it's wet. There's loads of water sources and our bees are several hundred yards away so it's just a bee thing sometimes. Like taking one home on the back of your suit :eek:.

Similar gloves at similar price from Sainbury's too.

Sometimes- I wish- but No- the very top ones are best 2nd down a little thin. Also hands don't get sweaty and smelly unlike the basic rubber.

I have 2 hives that are only 2 metres away from our washing line and facing it at an angle of about 45 degrees. They are in one corner of the garden and face the opposite corner. Bees leave hive and fly in the opposite direction, over the garden wall,,, probably because they see more open sky that way. My wife hangs washing out and they have never bothered her,, in fact they hardly ever go as far as the washing line.......

Latest posts

Back