Sting magnet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
Since I began keeping bees some three years ago I have been stung many times, my dogs have been stung once or twice (their fault really for antagonising) and my wife not at all. Whenever I am clearing grass in my garden there is always one or two narked bees that have a go at me, yesterday while out walking the dogs I got stung by a wasp (still itching 24 hours later) and the horseflies find me irresistible so much so that at certain periods in the summer I have to go out wearing insect repellant or I get bitten by the little sods.

I wonder if it's possible that after many stings from bees one becomes a bit of a magnet for anything stingy.

On a holiday in Norway my wife and in-laws got bitten multiple times by mosquitos, father in law particularly more so than others. Although spending even more time than the rest out doors, I didn't get bitten at all. The joke being that I must have bad blood....I had a search online but could find nothing of real interest on the subject...but does seem that some attract the beasties more than others or in my case, active avoidance!

Are you a heavy breather..i have read somewhere that the little pests are attracted by expelled carbon dioxide..

I wondered if you were about to pass on your phone number for a second there!

Since I began keeping bees some three years ago I have been stung many times, my dogs have been stung once or twice (their fault really for antagonising) and my wife not at all. Whenever I am clearing grass in my garden there is always one or two narked bees that have a go at me, yesterday while out walking the dogs I got stung by a wasp (still itching 24 hours later) and the horseflies find me irresistible so much so that at certain periods in the summer I have to go out wearing insect repellant or I get bitten by the little sods.

I wonder if it's possible that after many stings from bees one becomes a bit of a magnet for anything stingy.

I'd try wearing a Groucho mask. Might confuse them. Or you could try walking on your hands:

http://animalbehaviorandcognition.org/uploads/journals/16/AB&C_2017_Vol4(3)_Avargues-Weber_et_al.pdf

I'd try wearing a Groucho mask. Might confuse them. Or you could try walking on your hands:

http://animalbehaviorandcognition.org/uploads/journals/16/AB&C_2017_Vol4(3)_Avargues-Weber_et_al.pdf

I didn't read it all but the concept is interesting. While I'm not about to wander about looking like Groucho Marx, a snood or something similar to partially cover my face might make for an intesting experiment. If the weather is ok tomorrow I shall try it; I will let you know the result (if my then sting-ridden swollen eyes will let me see the computer!) :)

I think that some people are a magnet for stings.

I remember one of the gardeners on a site where I had bees was always getting stung but his workmates never had a problem.

Maybe it was his aftershave, soap, shampoo, or the washing powder/fabric softener he washed his clothes in.
Or it could have been the garlic he ate.

He never did work it out.
Maybe it was his waggle dance!

Change the queens

I can say definitely that my bees hate the smell of cordysil toothpaste. And before you say it..... No I don't clean their teeth!!!
They will attack my veil with a vengeance if I have just used it before an inspection!!
E

I seem to get bitten and stung by everything and react strongly. I was told everyone gets bitten and stung but not everyone reacts. I don't go out in the evening as I get bitten and spend the next week trying not to scratch.

I can say definitely that my bees hate the smell of cordysil toothpaste. And before you say it..... No I don't clean their teeth!!!
They will attack my veil with a vengeance if I have just used it before an inspection!!
E

After you made an effort as well.

My experience is that people with diabetes are much more likely to be stung by bees and wasps. Perhaps they smell differently.

My experience is that people with diabetes are much more likely to be stung by bees and wasps. Perhaps they smell differently.

Their breath does depending on their sugar levels - If I recall, sometimes similar to attack pheromone

I'm diabetic..never noticed the bees or wasps paying anymore attention to me than
anybody else in my apiary at the same time... Mossies don't bother me nor horseflies.. As JBM sais above..I was warned by a consultant in the diabetic clinic about sugar levels affecting breath odour...so i have a chew of a biscuit before I go play with the bees.. When a diabetic's sugar levels drop close to a "hypo" the breath has a "pear drop" smell to it

Last edited:
Back