Sticky Slides

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwiuk927

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I am trying to make some sticky slides. Could someone please give me a clue where to start

Thanks

I am trying to make some sticky slides.

In a children's play area? Oh, 'sticky slides' not 'slides sticky'!

Now, forum sticky or something to stick samples on?

Dip them in honey?

OK, I'll leave it for the microscopites!

Last Activity: 17th May 2012 09:58 AM

Not returned to the forum (as a member) since posting this.

Could be, but unusual for a 'first time' poster. Yes, they may be back, but obviously not yet. Jetta, on another thread has not been back for months, yet people are still replying to the OP, presumably hoping for some response...

...or perhaps did not notice the date of the OP? :)

Yes is it is for collecting pollen from plants you are not allowed to remove the flower from like touch me not balsam. I did visit this forum most days however do not log in every time I visit.

problem sorted and found the answer in Pollen and its Collection by John White

problem sorted and found the answer in Pollen and its Collection by John White
Is the John White book the best one on the suject? For those of us without the White book (yet), how is it done?

Hi,
Once I have had a go at making the mixture myself I would be happy to share it. This should be done with in the next week or so

Yes is it is for collecting pollen from plants you are not allowed to remove the flower from like touch me not balsam. I did visit this forum most days however do not log in every time I visit.
The technique is to take a clean slide and place some glycerine jelly on it and make a smear. then dab a finger onto that smear and dab onto a clean slide.
( a smear from a semar), use the second slide for collecting a pollen sample by for example touching an anther onto the dabbed are. the pollen will stick to it.
It is recommended that the usualy gylcerine jelly should be altered by adding more glycerine to it so as to make the dab more sticky.

The process is mentione in White's book but was devised by Eric Marston.

The best book for beekeepers on pollen identification is Sawyers Bokk on that subject. It gives methodology, formulary and a database of 200 common pollen characterisrtics.

Hi Ruary
What you are telling this guy in my opinion is out of date because we need to stain the pollen grains to see the exquisite effect of the exine. And by the way its Eric Marson not Marston.
I use stained glycerin jelly which has been heated then i touch the anther into the stain to allow pollen grains to become dislodged into the gel. Do not dab it as that will cause air bubbles. Then cover with a warm cover slip and after a day or two i would seal the slide with nail varnish. Yes the book by John White is a reference guide which examines how to proceed.
Mo

Latest posts

Back