Sticky gloves+camera

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob777

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone Im in my first year beekeeping and just did the bees today everything well Its just I took some photos today and my camera is now coverd with yellow sticky stuff what is the best thing to use to clean it and my leather gloves thanks a lot..Bobhttp://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/Smiles/banghead.gif

washing soda crystals will shift it, believe you can wash your gloves in it but check with someone who uses leather gloves - personally i prefer to use marigolds - when they get too stick easy to wash or throw out!

Not sure you would want to use soda crystals on your camera, may take the paint off, but if staniless steel then might be worth making a strong solution and wiping it with a slightly damp cloth??

next time yo take photos might be worth having it partly in a plastic freezer bag or just buy a cheapy for the job!

Sounds like propolis. You should be able to get away with isopropyl alcohol or at a push meths, on a soft rag, on your camera. I take my gloves off to use camera.

Never got propolis on camera therefore but often give it a wipe with isopropyl to remove other grunge.

What out for an Aldi occassional offer as they sell "Stcky Stuff Remover". It seems to shift most sticky stuff really well and I don't think it will affect your camera. No good to you here and now, but one to watch for.

Sounds like propolis. You should be able to get away with isopropyl alcohol or at a push meths, on a soft rag, on your camera. I take my gloves off to use camera.

Cotton buds dipped in the alcohol might help.
Don't get any solvent (or gunge) into any moving (or electrical) part ...

Sellotape is quite good at taking sticky stuff off many surfaces. Stick it on the stickies, then peel it off slowly. (Haven't tried with prop on camera .. yet!)
Repeat until clean, bored or run out of sellotape!
Use clear Sellotape, not brown parcel tape unless you want to make it worse!

Regarding the gloves. Hopefully they are washable. Put them on and 'wash your hands' with washing soda mixed into water. A stainless 'steel wool' pot scourer may be as helpful a scrubber on the gloves as it is on a hive tool. Dry your gloves slowly.
Because its so hard to clean leather gloves completely, many apiaries don't like (allow) visitors using them.
One solution is to use disposable (decorators type) nitrile gloves OVER the leather ones. It keeps the leather clean and prevents the 'germs' on them contacting other people's bees.
But not using leather gloves is advice that you WILL be given!

I "borrowed" a make up remover wet wipe thingy from the lady of the house when she was out shopping, to clean the propolis off my camera, worked a treat. I put it in a silicone glove now, lens poking out the wrist, to keep it clean.
I tried to wash my leather gloves in soda crystals they set like iron and Barbies Ken would have trouble getting them on they've shrunk that much!
I think I dried them too quickly in the sunshine and I probably should have kept puting them on every so often as they were drying.

I take my gloves off to use camera.

Now that's what I call sensible, logical thinking drex.....

....or if really concerned about being stung - two pairs of gloves with a quick change for a photo shoot.

Chris

problem with taking gloves off to use camera is that you'll tend to put them back on inside out so next time round your fingers are covered in propolis anyway.

re removing from camera - medical alco-wipes are perfect.

You doctors are all the same. Never could glove up properly.

Your suggestion as to alco wipes is my usual isopropyl source

Dr Ex

could always wrap the camera apart from lense in cling film protecting the functional buttons etc. and easily removed and disposed off afterwards.

ZZ;)

You can buy camera covers. Their main purpose is to keep the camera waterproofed but will also protect from propolis.

Latest posts

Back