Step by step monthly beehive tasks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weather has been ok so far but usually gets bad in the next couple of months. If the syrup freezes will it not damage the poly feeder frame as ice expands.

Vain to feed then, because bees do not eate cold syrup and they do not rise to cold feeder.

Just clicked here with me - I thought you were just getting prepared to become a beekeeper and had just bough an empty hive. But you have bees? a bit late to be starting up a colony in September - where did you get the bees? was it a nuc, full established colony or what? what was the state of play when you last looked in the brood box? how many frames/seams of brood/bees did you have? how much did you feed them?

Last edited:
Just clicked here with me - I thought you were just getting prepared to become a beekeeper and had just bough an empty hive. But you have bees? a bit late to be starting up a colony in September - where did you get the bees? was it a nuc, full established colony or what? what was the state of play when you last looked in the brood box? how many frames/sesms of brood/bees did you have? how much did you feed them?

I was thinking the same but i thought it best to keep it buttoned..:rolleyes:

Hi Greig
if you are a new beekeeper and you don't have the benefit of a mentor who is there to guide your through you first year or two, then I can quite understand how you would find your calendar useful as a guide.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Just be mindful that your calender is only a guide.
The timings, frequency of operations and the various tasks required can, and will change from what you might expect to be happening at any one time.

So just be prepared to be flexible in your approach and don't panic if things don't go as you might expect.

Good luck

Feeding hives so, that they do not die, it is so new in beekeeping!

.venture or adventure

With planning, now is the time to increase your hive count on your terms (ie not the bees terms ...you are the boss)

One objection to that list which is generally good , everything you do should be on the bees terms, not yours.
With an open eye and mind, experience will teach you how to observe and act on "what the bees tell you".

If I must feed the hive so early that , there are frost outside, I pour syrup into combs 10 litre, and then I put the frames into a box, and box under wintering box. Bees lift the syrup up in one week.

But in my hives stores are enough, and I am able to check hive weights in April.

February started and hives need emergency feeding. What is going on?

How it is connected to frost?.

And if you give syrup in early feeding, give 1:2 stuff.

OR 2 : 1

2 alliquats finest white granulated sugar to one alliquat of fresh spring water.

( an alliquat can be a kilo or a pound or a zigurian quark if you like!... as long as they are the same.. and since one kilo of fresh spring water weighs exactly one kilo it makes things easy!)

Should also add it makes no odds if the pure white granulated sugar is beet or cane.

Yeghes da

Hi Greig
if you are a new beekeeper and you don't have the benefit of a mentor who is there to guide your through you first year or two, then I can quite understand how you would find your calendar useful as a guide.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Just be mindful that your calender is only a guide.
The timings, frequency of operations and the various tasks required can, and will change from what you might expect to be happening at any one time.

So just be prepared to be flexible in your approach and don't panic if things don't go as you might expect.

Good luck

:iagree:

needs considerable LUCK

Yeghes da

OR 2 : 1

2 alliquats finest white granulated sugar to one alliquat of fresh spring water.

( an alliquat can be a kilo or a pound or a zigurian quark if you like!... as long as they are the same.. and since one kilo of fresh spring water weighs exactly one kilo it makes things easy!)

No.

Not finest but cheapest.

When you heat water to 90C, litre is not exactly 1kg.

And bottled spring water is more expencive than sugar and it is always old.

Why do you deliver wrong information? .

Remember, ground water is not spring water.

If I must feed the hive so early that , there are frost outside, I pour syrup into combs 10 litre, and then I put the frames into a box, and box under wintering box. Bees lift the syrup up in one week.

But in my hives stores are enough, and I am able to check hive weights in April.

February started and hives need emergency feeding. What is going on?

Emergency feeding in February bees went fed enough in the autumn

Last edited:
No.

Not finest but cheapest.

When you heat water to 90C, litre is not exactly 1kg.

And bottled spring water is more expencive than sugar and it is always old.

Why do you deliver wrong information? .

Remember, ground water is not spring water.

Finnie has a first honors in splitting hairs... all the fun of the forum!

Yeghes da

Back