Starting a new Bee Association BBKA advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivor Kemp

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anyone give me some advice on becoming affiliated to the BBKA with a new Bee Association?

Questions are:

1. Does the BBKA have any requirements about the membership or experience of the beekeepers?

2. Does it take into account other Associations in the same area before allowing affiliation?

3. Anything else?

Many thanks.

I think you should be asking said organisation. There may be references to dinosausrs using matchsticks or some other out-dated practices. You might even be questioned on your ethics towards beekilling insectcides, or even GM crops.

Love it thanks Oliver.

Can I presume that you would be of the opinion to have nothing to do with them?

Latter years, the only things I gained was as a member of a local beekeeping group and third party insurance.

The rest was a saga of managemet crawling up the rear orifice of ba*er and totally ignoring the opinions of the grass roots members of the movement.

Apart from that, their competition with beecraft was so crass as to be unbelievably poor. Dinosaur or ostrich, take your pick. Not even accurate at times.

IMO, they no longer serve the new or improving beekeeper. Even their examiation questions were often absolute rubbish - like 'How much honey does a brood frame hold when full?' The obvious answer is 'none, when a brood frame is full there is no space for honey!!'

Amateurs, not professionals, making up questions does not instill confidence - amongst other facets of their beekeeping proficiency courses.

They may have improved over recent periods, I don't know, but I would not be surprised if they are carrying on in the same way.

Enough to mull over?

RAB

What a happy chap so full of goodwill! Don't believe all his anti-BBKA nonsense.

Like all organisations (including this forum) there is good and bad in the BBKA but I have found mostly good.

Contact BBKA general secretary for all the information you need

email
[email protected]

I belong to a Beekeeping support group where we feel no need to belong to any hierarchical organisation. Works well, no ego's and no complications.
Cazza

I have to confess as a relatively new beekeeper, all they do, (apart from the insurance) is want more money.
As already mentioned on this forum, the Basic was just that, basic. I took it so I could keep bees in a specific place.

I do enjoy our local club.

Last edited:
I belong to a Beekeeping support group where we feel no need to belong to any hierarchical organisation. Works well, no ego's and no complications.
Cazza

I am with cazza...but it grows quickly. Ours is 20 or so strong. We all put a bit in the kitty and buy equipment we couldn't otherwise afford.
Haven't been with the bbka for years
E

Ahh, so 5 to 1 thus far?

I did give you the same suggestion as later offered - ask them. Of course, they will give you all the hype and none if the s***e.

We, of course, do not know how much the single (so far) supporter of said organisation has searched and found mostly good. 'Mostly' could mean barely more than half, I suppose. I would not put any figures on it, but I joined several years ago and became more and more disatisfied with the organisation - even their forum was so heavily moderated (and this forum started as a result of that?) by a small group with quite clear ulterior motives - that of silencing any poster who disagreed with them and removing any trace of dissent among posting members. I miss my local society, but not the organisation.

Maybe that forum has seen the light and is now a lively discussion area? Not called the 'dark side' for no good reason, I'm afraid. Anyone know?

Perhaps this post will bring a few 'out of the woodwork'? Some would, perhaps, best keep quiet or it may scuttle any chance that you might join them! As some have said, look outside the box as well as in it - there are alternatives.

RAB

There are people on this forum that are rude and sometimes aggressive in their tone towards people who disagree with them. This is different from what occurs on the BBKA forum where such rudeness doesn't seem to be tolerated but I imagine some might consider this unwelcome censorship!

Being a successful product of both the BBKA and NDB exam system I perhaps see things from a different perspective to that of the previous poster. The members of the BBKA executive, the BBKA exams board and the area delegates are elected and so answerable to the members at the ADM at National level and AGMs at local level. If you don't like something you don't take your ball home and snipe from the sidelines but work to change things the democratic way by lobbying your local representatives, producing proposals for delegates to discuss and vote for and if you feel really strongly about something stand for election yourself and work for change within the organisation (which is what I did back in the 80s). The BBKA is made up of its members not just a few people you may or may not like.

Last edited:
Perhaps this post will bring a few 'out of the woodwork'? Some would, perhaps, best keep quiet or it may scuttle any chance that you might join them! As some have said, look outside the box as well as in it - there are alternatives.

RAB

Dunno about coming out, but the BBKA is the only recognized national organisation representing amateur beekeepers. Like any large organization it suffers with too much politics and internal power-plays. But then I've rarely come across any organization that didn't suffer from these problems.
It tries hard to promote beekeeping in the UK and puts forward a lot of national initiatives to encourage and educate people into bee-keeping. It's very important that this continues as it something no local independent club of mates is going to tackle
It's not perfect, but what is?
But there are many damn fine beekeepers who are members of it, and for the paltry membership fees that include your liability insurance worth every penny.
But of course it's easier to knock it and reckon it's so primitive they still encourage matchstick use.
Of course there are the usual dorks, but then there are enough dorks on here who aren't members of the BBKA as well. Seems it goes with bee keeping.

As for their forum there are several forum members , like myself, who post on both.
I'll tell you about one little recent topic you may all want to think about. If you sell honey from home it invalidates your home insurance, unless you have declared you are running a business from home. That is how the insurance companies look at it.
Don't believe me?
Ring your insurance company and ask them. You'll get quite a shock.
There was at least a happy outcome for the original BBKA member who brought this issue to peoples attention.

Last edited:
There are people on this forum that are rude and sometimes aggressive in their tone towards people who disagree with them. This is different from what occurs on the BBKA forum where such rudeness doesn't seem to be tolerated but I imagine some might consider this unwelcome censorship!

Being a successful product of both the BBKA and NDB exam system I perhaps see things from a different perspective to that of the previous poster. The members of the BBKA executive, the BBKA exams board and the area delegates are elected and so answerable to the members at the ADM at National level and AGMs at local level. If you don't like something you don't take your ball home and snipe from the sidelines but work to change things the democratic way by lobbying your local representatives, producing proposals for delegates to discuss and vote for and if you feel really strongly about something stand for election yourself and work for change within the organisation (which is what I did back in the 80s). The BBKA is made up of its members not just a few people you may or may not like.

I don't remember being "democratically" asked to vote for increased membership fees.

Last edited:
It's not perfect, but what is?

Was that a quote from "Call me Dave"?

I Try to avoid politics... or any other £5 argument

but then I am a BIBBA member!!!

Yeghes da

Was this forum not born through anti-BBKA sentiment? No one should be surprised by anti-bbka folk on here.

My first run in with the BBKA was when I wanted a group to join and to learn on a swarm. The person was very rude on the phone and said members of the public should not keep bees... (this was in 2008 before bees were in the media every week)

I almost became a member last year due to various pressures. I was accused of not coming from the area (lived here for 16 years!) and would be bringing unwelcome diseases and was not welcome.... from an email that I saw, it also included "it is not possible he could have been here with this amount of bees without our knowledge" !

Not the welcome I was expected. However, it does show the short sightedness and blinkered view of certain members and their attitudes towards others.

I have to ask... 'why' do you want to set up a new club with affiliation?
You can join the BBKA without a local club, and just create your own 'group'..

... the short sightedness and blinkered view of certain members and their attitudes towards others.
This sort of thing is common in a lot of clubs and voluntary groups, not just beekeeping groups.

I don't remember being "democratically" asked to vote for increased membership fees.[/QUOTE]

All proposals at the BBKA ADM are published well in advance and put out to all the county associations for debate (usually at their AGMs to which all branch members are invited ). Prior to this representatives of the branches are supposed to bring the topics up for discussion at branch level. Your national delegates may be mandated at the county AGM to vote in a particular way at the BBKA ADM in accordance to the wishes of its members or instructed to listen to all the arguments put forward by other delegates from other associations and then decide which way to vote. You must have missed your local meeting when this topics was brought up . If it wasn't brought up then this is down to your local rep so he/she may need to be "talked to" about it
Many country and branch associations actually email their members with details of all proposals being put forward at the ADM.

My local association (Bedfordshire) is one of only a handful (perhaps 3?) that isn't a member of the BBKA. We have around 400 members and the membership is still only £10 / year. I'm sure it would be a lot more if we rejoined the BBKA.
There was a poll taken at a recent agm about BBKA membership and the majority said no.
Members still take the BBKA modules if they want to, so, there is no negative impact that I can see.

Back