Stag beetles

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich0909

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
First really warm evening of the year here in coastal Suffolk - sitting outside with a beer (as you do) have seen at least 5 individual stag beetles and maybe more - but they could have been the same ones flying past again!
See one or two most years, Suffolk is one of their strongholds - always amazed they actually manage to fly.

Anyone else seen any this year?

Rich.

Yes, saw one this afternoon and another this evening.

cant imagine one of those flying towards you lol

Argh. I freak at anything creepy - Last summer I awoke the whole house at 2.30 a.m, when a cock-chaffer crawled up over my knee...Amazing how a feminine scream can wake an extended bungalow ;)

They're fabulous creatures, and they're a protected species because they're quite rare.

They take several years (4, 5 or 6) to develop as a larva in some rotting wood. Pupate for a couple of few months. Hatch, mate, lay eggs - and die before the winter.

picture.php

picture.php

Never seen one indoors, and they tend to fly at dusk - keeping the bats company.

Imagine a motorcyclist getting hit in the helmet with one of those!

I could have said visor but it would have deprived JBM a moment's fun :)

Bit of a walloper . . .

Imagine a motorcyclist getting hit in the helmet with one of those!

I could have said visor but it would have deprived JBM a moment's fun :)

Bit of a walloper . . .

He's coming ...

In the meantime, I took a hit from a May bug on my goggles (it was a long time ago !) riding my Triumph T110 down the A1 ... thought I had been blinded till I managed to stop and got the goggles off - what a mess !

More about last night, a hedgehog was rushing around the garden looking for any on the ground.

Latest posts

Back