Spring swarm avoidance plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Last spring was a bit fraught as we missed their swarm preps at the start of April as there was a week or so of colder wet weather when we didn't inspect. About middle of April, 2 hives swarmed within a few days of each other (caught them both) and managed to do swarm control on the 3rd before it swarmed. For a few weeks in March we had relatively good weather and literally hundreds of cherry trees in bloom on the streets and the colonies just exploded.

We have 3 hives on double brood (2 dummied down) and a 6 frame nuc. Plan to demaree at least 2 of them. I am thinking it would be best to do that on the dummied down ones and so we can swap the dummies for empty frames when we implement the demaree. Have also been busy reading Wally Shaw's Guide to Swarm Control again and plan to do brood relocation on the 3rd, keeping brood up against the QC. All queens are last years, 2 are 2nd gen Buckfast and the 3rd is Heinz variety.

Is there any point in Demareeing a double brood with 22 frames in it already as you're not actually creating any new space for the queen, just rearranging it? Any other tips on spring management would be much appreciated, especially from anyone else in a leafy London suburb. Thanks.

Last spring was a bit fraught as we missed their swarm preps at the start of April as there was a week or so of colder wet weather when we didn't inspect. About middle of April, 2 hives swarmed within a few days of each other (caught them both) and managed to do swarm control on the 3rd before it swarmed. For a few weeks in March we had relatively good weather and literally hundreds of cherry trees in bloom on the streets and the colonies just exploded.

We have 3 hives on double brood (2 dummied down) and a 6 frame nuc. Plan to demaree at least 2 of them. I am thinking it would be best to do that on the dummied down ones and so we can swap the dummies for empty frames when we implement the demaree. Have also been busy reading Wally Shaw's Guide to Swarm Control again and plan to do brood relocation on the 3rd, keeping brood up against the QC. All queens are last years, 2 are 2nd gen Buckfast and the 3rd is Heinz variety.

Is there any point in Demareeing a double brood with 22 frames in it already as you're not actually creating any new space for the queen, just rearranging it? Any other tips on spring management would be much appreciated, especially from anyone else in a leafy London suburb. Thanks.
Keep in front with space many early swarms are caused by an expanding colony and early income, causing them to be cramped/honey bound.

Last edited:
Keep in front with space many early swarms are caused by an expanding colony and early income, causing them to be cramped/honey bound.
Yesterday I checked on the levels of stores my hives had. I was struck by how much they actually had left. It set me pondering about the balance between space for brood rearing and for, primarily, pollen in the spring. With endless adverts urging fondant or other feeding I wonder how many will have in fact been too generous and have an increased likelihood of early swarming.

With endless adverts urging fondant or other feeding I wonder how many will have in fact been too generous and have an increased likelihood of early swarming.
It's a perennial issue, the oft chanted mantra of 'just in case' does nothing to help either - fine for a beginner finding their feet but we are hearing more and more that it is now the 'norm' to take off the feeder after autumn feeding and immediately replacing it with a slab of fondant. I have even heard bee feed suppliers telling people that putting fondant on hive will have no influence on the equilibrium of the colony as bees will only touch the fondant if they're starving!! and to even further add to the problem by feeding syrup as a 'stimulative' and they won't be able to use any ivy stores they have so better to pile the feed on.

Yesterday I checked on the levels of stores my hives had. I was struck by how much they actually had left. It set me pondering about the balance between space for brood rearing and for, primarily, pollen in the spring. With endless adverts urging fondant or other feeding I wonder how many will have in fact been too generous and have an increased likelihood of early swarming.
I find it odd that a lot of people go through the whole of winter automatically topping up fondant instead of feeding to a decent weight in Autumn and then weighing/hefting to ensure enough is left. It's also a tricky one with what to do with what seems like excess stores in March say as the weather could get colder and wetter for a period and they could be needed still.

Yes, there is a great need to seriously challenge misleading misinformation. Puts me in mind of a bright cold day in April when the clocks struck thirteen.

Might have been a bit apprehensive about how early to super last year as well. Will bear that in mind as well.
A Tip given to me recently was to super early but leave a sheet of newspaper between the BB and super with a few holes in it. when the bees need the space they will go up and use it.

There’s nothing wrong with feeding… people just need to be proactive and on the ball. If the weathers good your bees will be making the most as nature intended!

people go through the whole of winter automatically topping up fondant instead of feeding to a decent weight in Autumn
May have fed well in late summer or autumn, but these days, in the absence of hard winters, brooding and stores consumption can continue right through, esp. in urban areas with an extra couple of degrees C.

A Tip given to me recently was to super early but leave a sheet of newspaper between the BB and super with a few holes in it. when the bees need the space they will go up and use it.
Just wondering.........following this idea through, place your 4 or 5 supers,each being separated by paper on at the beginning of the season and let the bees look after them selves as regards to space.

Just wondering.........following this idea through, place your 4 or 5 supers,each being separated by paper on at the beginning of the season and let the bees look after them selves as regards to space.
I'm not even sure it works so I would temper your ambitions. 😀 Interesting thought tho.

Does it make a difference which newspaper? There are some I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to pay money for. Well, actually most of them.

James

Does it make a difference which newspaper? There are some I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to pay money for. Well, actually most of them.

James
I was always reduced to using tape on a couple of pages of the sport😂

There used to be a chap here who used to put four supers on in March and not bother inspecting till there were bees in the top super. He was spotted at the WBKA convention one year touring his method if I remember. can't recall his name. JBM and Swarm will know....Kevin something?

There used to be a chap here who used to put four supers on in March and not bother inspecting till there were bees in the top super. He was spotted at the WBKA convention one year touring his method if I remember. can't recall his name. JBM and Swarm will know....Kevin something
yerrs - that was one of his least madcap ideas, wasn't it on facebook though? after checking out his profile he was promptly blocked

The problem is that there are no 2 years the same. Something that may work this year turns into a disaster the next year. I never feed during the winter months. Make sure they have enough food by the end of September and there is no need for that. And you wont have to worry if they have enough room for their broodnest.

I know a bf who will use a CB in much the same way as the news paper, but I'm told it only really works when there is good income and it only gives you a few days grace.
@ericbeaumont was the beek if I remember that put the idea forward about using newspaper.

To the poster : If your stacking super ontop of super with news paper straight away you won't get full supers and it just won't help the bc and prevent swarming at all, imo a lazy and not very proactive method at all.

Im not saying that just one super with news paper won't work though maybe Eric will let us know interesting idea.

Make sure they have enough food by the end of September and there is no need for that.
topping up fondant instead of feeding to a decent weight in Autumn
Trouble with that plan is that autumns and winters have changed dramatically since that convention was established: colonies continue brooding late in the year and beyond, consuming stores in the process. Fondant gives the beekeeper flexibility.

Watch out for winter: last year it arrived in April.

Latest posts

Back