Spring is Sprung!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to do the same last year with a colony,all I had in the car was dry sugar and a newspaper.

They took it down fine.

hi,
my girls were out today , no signs of pollen , and need some feed i fear ,just made 8 lb of fondant to share out between 3 in the garden will have to make more for the out apiarys better safe than dead especialy if we have a few warm days LOL

NOW SPRING HAS SPRUNG

mark

Mine were out today collecting dark orange pollen.

I put a floor tray in on Wednesday and today there was cappings on it. So it looks like they are ok for stores. Also I had a quick peek under the crown board and the bees have started to come up over the top bars so I think the cluster has started to break up.

I had a quick peek

WHy? Why? Why?

Leave them alone. Every time you open a colony unecessarily you run a risk. Never heard of 'balling the queen'? Cooling the cluster? Increasing stress?

New Beeks,

There needs to be a compelling reason for disturbing your bees at this time of the year.

They should be flying strongly, before opening up, on a very warm day. Those days arrived early (mid February) last year. That was exceptional. I don't think anyone should be doing that (well, not around here) this year yet.

There may be a long way to go before the end of the winter season. Who knows? It could be mid April before the weather is good enough for inspections. Hopefully it won't be, but who knows?

My advice is check for cappings dropping (and varroah drop), heft for stores, feed fondant only if necessary, but most of all - leave them alone.

Regards, RAB

Agree RAB. 15 degrees is the minimum air temp for inspecting IMO. That's NOT 6th February!
I was thinking that today I would see all my hives fly well and that Spring was on the way, my sap was rising too (ooh err missus), but the sea mist came in before the sun got on all the hives so some missed out. There's a great temptation to look at this time of year but it should be resisted!

Adam

Last year I was very lucky,shed loads of pollen early February from the Hazel and did my first inspection on the 22nd Feb.

It already looks like this year is going to be well in to March before the cover board gets disturbed.

Anyone thinking of opening up go get a copy of "At the hive entrance" pull up a chair and just watch them to see whats going on inside the hive.

I had a quick peek

WHy? Why? Why?

Leave them alone.

I wonder the same. After Cristmas it has been mere "light hive" and "feeding some" , are they "breathing". Are they flying, are they making poo?

Why don't you get aquarium. It needs every day feeding, love and good care.
Light on in the morning and light off in the evening. You may automize that but it is not the same.

Luckily I have 100 miles distance to hives and there is 70 cm snow. Vain to do anything, just wait.

when will it be save to remove the mouse guard??

Very funny post Finman.
You are on top form.
If anyone wants a digital copy of "At the hive entrance" and is a forum supporter send me a pm for a link.

it`s been a lovely day down here in Devon. 9 degress C and all hives busy bringing in gorse pollen. I spent a good hour just standing there watching them, roll on the spring !!

Darren.

7.3c was the best I could do here in Hants.
Been making Queen cages all day..

Making q cages? Cheaper to buy the wee bits and use the time for the bigger stuff.

3C here at best and wet and damp, I put on ekes on to the nucs and fed fondant. 8 are nice and strong and one is middling. And winter is not over yet.

PH

Widespread frost in Cyprus

We have had 3 nights of widespread frost, it has done a lot of damage to the potatoes. Forecast is to get warmer over the next few days. I have several grafts ready to go into nucs on Friday.
Finman,
Just been listening to the Sunday morning church service on the radio with Archbishop Leo of Karelia and All Finland taking part- cannot say I understood much of what was said. I suppose he thought that he would be coming down here and enjoy the warm and sunny weather...........:ack2:
Best regards
Norton.

Latest posts

Back