Spreading the brood nest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugsInABox

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
I've heard this is a good thing to do in a long hive - as a way of preventing (or delaying) swarm impulse.
Is that correct? I ask as I spread the brood on a pretty busy coloney 2 weeks ago and just been in today to find they have abandoned one of the brood combs - I assume I over did it.
Neil

Last edited:
dont ve experience in long hives but ve learned with my eyes(on my mistakes) try not to disturb at all the brood nest more to spread it

i checkerboard but only stores and foundations

Spreading the brood nest

I've heard this is a good thing to do

I don't think so

Certainly not in April

Put foundation/less next to the brood nest, certainly. But put them in between brood frames? Well, I never would. And if I was going to try it, it would be when the weather is 12C at night and 25C during the day

I've heard this is a good thing to do in a long hive - as a way of preventing (or delaying) swarm impulse.
Is that correct? I ask as I spread the brood on a pretty busy coloney 2 weeks aga and just been in today to find they have ambandoned one of the brood combs - I assume I over did it.
Neil
Not a very good idea unless the hive is ram jammed full of bees to be able to cover the spread out brood.
Especially not a good idea in the spring when temperatures can drop regularly forcing the bees to constrict the cluster.

Last edited:
Spreading the brood nest

I don't think so

Certainly not in April

Put foundation/less next to the brood nest, certainly. But put them in between brood frames? Well, I never would. And if I was going to try it, it would be when the weather is 12C at night and 25C during the day

Not a very good idea unless the hive is ram jammed full of bees to be able to cover the spread pout brood.
Especially not a good idea in the spring when temperatures can drop regularly forcing the bees to constrict the cluster.

Reviewing my sources - it might be a recomendation meant for warmer climes.

I think it is a question of proportion.

I've several hives where the brood area is essentially full with no where to lay, sandwiched by stores. In this case I've moved an empty(ish), drawn frame, either to the edge of the brood nest or one frame in.

Obviously depends on the number of bees, but there are plenty of bees to cover the brood in the hives I've done this to.

If you're adding several empties within the brood area, at this time of year I'd say no, but don't rule it out to give HM a bit more room. It could be that you (in your words) over did it, but I wouldn't say no.

Simon

I do it regularly mid summer, no problem, provided the hive is strong. The new frame gets drawn and laid in just a few days.
I think it is a question of proportion.

I've several hives where the brood area is essentially full with no where to lay, sandwiched by stores. In this case I've moved an empty(ish), drawn frame, either to the edge of the brood nest or one frame in.

Obviously depends on the number of bees, but there are plenty of bees to cover the brood in the hives I've done this to.

If you're adding several empties within the brood area, at this time of year I'd say no, but don't rule it out to give HM a bit more room. It could be that you (in your words) over did it, but I wouldn't say no.

Simon
Drex/Simon - why do you do it? Is it to boost the ultimate coloney size or to try an head off swarm impulse (or a bit of both)?

I have a long hive with bees on 19 frames and brood on 15 so I put a couple of foundation frames into the nest 2 weeks ago as I was a bit concerned about the speed of build up. They had drawn them out and HM had laid them up within a fortnight.

I’ve done a couple of colonies this spring because they’ve been so full of bees. Drawn out super quick too. It all depends on the circumstances

Back