Spliting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdNewman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
OK, I'm ready for a 1001 opinions on this, but I have a few questions on splitting hive for increase (from one to two hives):
1. What is the consensus on letting the split re-queen themselves? Or should I be buying a queen in?

2. When should I do the split. My current set-up is a 14x12 bb with five frames with a good pattern of laying (all stages) and stores, 3 frames with just stores (capped and uncapped) and pollen and 2 frames of undrawn foundation. No super on yet, but I will add one at the end of the week if the weather holds.

Thanks in advance
Ed.

If you simply split the colony the bit without a queen will raise another, providing there are eggs or very young larva in it the bees can work with. However, the queen will be raised by the emergency impluse and these are generally considered to be inferior to queens produced in a queen-right colony.

If you don't want to try queen rearing yourself you could certainly buy in a queen but a cheaper alternative would be to see if they produce their own queen cells this year, which is likely to be some time from April onwards. If they decide not to make queen cells you should still be able to purchase a queen as local queens are probably not going to be available much before June.

If there are cells on more than one frame then ideally split the colony further using nucs - this will give you a better chance of ending up with a mated queen and ideally put you in a position where you can choose which one is best.

Given you only have five frames of brood why are you thinking of adding a super? Personally I wouldn't begin to consider that until at least 8 good frames of brood and thickly covered in bees.

As for splitting the choice is pretty straightforward. If you let the bees raise a queen you are looking at a serious delay, possibly as long as two months. If you buy in a queen you send some money and with luck she will be accepted.. or maybe not. Your call.

PH

Thanks for the replys so far.

PH, The reason I was going to add a super is to make sure the Q doesn't run out of space to lay. At the moment the only empty frames are on the outsides. I was going to add a super and bruise the stores to try and free up some space that way.

What's you opinion on emergency reared queens, seems to be a 50/50 split of opinion on their quality.

Ed.

I would put an empty frame on each side of your broodnest to aid them expand, and when those are laid up then start bruising the stores frames.

Some emergency queens can be very good, and some are utter rubbish but that is the way of averages.

If you are not set up for raising a few then buy in from a reputable source.

PH

No split yet, the weather has been far to cold and wet to inspect. I'm tempted to wait till they are ready to swarm and then use swarm control to get my increase.

Ed

:iagree:
certainly wait until you have capped drone cells.

My star hive/ queen has brood across 9 frames in a 14x12 plus 8 frames in the super.
I'm going to put another 14x12 on it and let the queen have her head. Then I will split in 2/3 weeks or artificial swarm whatever comes sooner.keeping a very close eye on it of course.

Comments please...

Particularly Polyhive,you seem very knowledgeable.
Flattery will get you everywhere;)

Comments please...

Another option. Fit a super or two in between the brood boxes (extra deep and shallow), with the queen downstairs, and induce supercedure cells. Then split and hope for a good weather window for early mating.

RAB

There is no way that I would consider splitting a hive which only has 5 frames of brood (full or part coverage?) With 2 frames of foundation in it.

If you want to rear nucs then I think you really want to get it double brood and mega bunged with bees.

baggy

:iagree:

far too early to consider splits (or supers).

once hive gets full either get it onto double brood and do as rab says OR just wait til you need to AS and then split the parent hive into nucs then.

Latest posts

Back